lights, switches and wires

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by scottonjackd, Aug 19, 2014.

1. scottonjackd

scottonjackd New Member

Hi all, thank you to anyone that can help, im trying to put up 2 wall lights. currently (no pun intended) there is only one switch which operates the main light. There are 2 cables running into the light switch, how can I add a double light switch (one for the main light and one for the wall lights) which will turn on the light and wall light independently? Which cable is the most suitable? also I need a bigger back box to run a cable back out to power the lights as there is only enough space to fit in the 2 cables and not run another one out to lead to the lights?

thank you very much!
    :)

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

1.5mm cable.

lights daisy chained to each other with wire back to switch, then treat as light two in pic.

j0jzus.jpg

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

When you say two cables what do you mean Scot? I mean is it loop in box etc?

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I think a photo of switch wiring would help here scot

Your gonna need a nuetral at the switch to supply the wall light, as well as switched live

How are you getting the new wiring from the switch to the wall lights

Lots to consider, send a photo and ask more questions, it's a good forum

5. scottonjackd

scottonjackd New Member

must be me been daft but where is the black wire going on that picture?
    I would like the main light to be on one switch and the 2 wall lights to be on the other

6. scottonjackd

scottonjackd New Member

the 2 cables running down are as follows.
    There are 2 black wires coming down into the light switch. one goes into the com and one into the l1 or 2 I cant remember which way as im at work. the red goes into the other l1 or 2 and the 2 earths are screwed to the switch.

in the room there is a ceiling light (main light) which is controlled by the wall switch and a pull switch.

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

The blacks(or blues) are the neutral-the return leg of the circuits-it's what makes it a circuit.
    One switch will feed a live to the main light, other will feed a live to the wall lights, neutrals are commoned up and complete the circuit when a switch is turned on.
    You may not have a neutral at the switch position, but you will need one at the new wall lights or they won't work.
    So you may have to adjust some wiring to suit.

8. scottonjackd

scottonjackd New Member

Morning, I was hoping to run a cable from the light switch to a junction box then from the junction box to each light?

9. When you say two cables are going into the light switch does the red of one go into the top of the switch, the red of the other into the bottom and the two blacks are joined in a connector block? If so Phil the Paver's sketch is correct.
    You would be better running from the switch to light one and then onto light two but this can be impossible with some wall lights. In which case an mf junction box might be your only option.