Limestone diy disaster.

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Robertxxx, May 11, 2017.

1. Robertxxx

Robertxxx New Member

Hi all,

Well the wind is truly out of my sails right now.

Ive spent the last few evenings digging and laying a garden path, it's only a small path 13, 60cm*30cm limestone slabs.

It looked really nice and i was very proud, until tonight when I noticed 6!! Slabs are completely loose.
    I'm blaming the hardware guy who said a mix of wet bedding sand and cement on top of 804 hardcore is perfect, after a little research it turns out I should be using a mortar mix, this paving sand I was sold is a grit sand, it's like a small stone gravel.

I feel like smashing everything up but the other half and kids want to keep it.

So depressed right now as to what to do.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It can be very disheartening when this happens but there's not much you can do other than take them up, dig out some of the base and relay them. I certainly wouldn't bed slabs on a mortar mix (assuming you mean a building sand mix) and your hardware guy is possibly right about the sand although I've not heard of 804 hardcore. Depending where you are in the country you should be using washed sand, grit sand, sharp sand which are probably all the same thing with some minor differences. You could even use plastering sand.

It sounds like you've been unlucky and a number of factors could be the reason. Incorrect mix - should be either 5:1 or 6:1 sand:cement (3:1 for the pointing). Your mix might have been allowed to dry somewhat during use - don't mix too much and cover the unused mix with a sheet/bag. The slabs may have been dusty underneath preventing a bond with the mix and the slabs may have been disturbed before the bond had formed - it's a chemical reaction between the sand, the cement and the slab which creates the bond.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Robertxxx likes this.
  3. Robertxxx

Robertxxx New Member

I had a feeling that's all I could do, I'm going to use sharp sand as I see that mentioned a lot. I used a 5:1 mix, it was a hot sunny day so maybe that was the cause.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Did you use a plasterzier in the mix, some thing like Feb mix, this makes the mix much stickier.

tore81 likes this.
  5. Robertxxx

Robertxxx New Member

Unfortunately not.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Have you left say a 10mm gap between slabs for pointing

If so, a good pointing mix 'may' be enough to hold slabs in place

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

How thick is your hard core layer and did you tamp it down well? What's the ground like underneath?

I'm thinking it's moved so relaying won't solve the problem. Need to work out what's moved first.

8. Robertxxx

Robertxxx New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've hardcore to a depth of 3.5/4 inch.
    I'm convinced it's the bedding sand and cement mix that's to blame, as I've just taken this photo and now four days after I layed them they are all loose, only good part is that the slabs are free of any cement.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I think that confirms your own theory however Dr B. makes a good point and this will be a great opportunity to compact your hardcore again before you relay the slabs. Can't see the photo by the way.

10. Robertxxx

Robertxxx New Member

Photos now working

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looking at the photos, not sure what sand has been used? Looks almost like tarmac

Referring to instruction from one manufacture and they recommend 5 parts sharp sand/or building sand to 1 cement. For limestone they refer to applying neat wet cement and PVA before laying to assist in bonding.

Laid 7 slabs here last year at house, used sharp sand and added plasterciser to the mix, makes the mix much more softer and workable.

The 1st slab was laid wihtout adding SRB neat to the back of the slabs, (used granite slabs) which aren't very pours. Nearly a year later, well 8 months, Only the first slab is slightly loose. Other ones with the SRB are rigid without any rock.

Need to be careful not to splash SRB everywhere as will stain the surface, nightmare to get ogg. I used it neat applied by brush.

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I'm with jit on this one and the SBR

Only laid a few slabs here and there so certainly no expert but had read that sometimes the slabs (whatever material) don't always bond to the bedding layer. I also brush the backs of mine first with a dry brush to remove any loose dust, then a slurry of SBR and a handful of cement powder. They then stick lovely like **** to a bed

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Had some paving done by a builder, it was India sandstone.

A lot of the slabs were loose and rocking afterwards, trying to stand on opposite corners for checking.

Used another person who mixed up a thin cement slurry and laid slabs on existing surface. Only a few mm thick. Bigger slabs need full support bed underneath otherwise can crack when load is on. No slab were looe afterwards.

Robertxxx likes this.
  14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I think the bedding mix is the main problem. Should be a mix of sharp sand and cement 5:1 or 6:1, not too wet, but also with SBR additive to make sure it sticks.

15. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Looking at your picture, I would be tempted to lay a slightly wetter & richer mixture 4 - 1 on top of you Original mix & re-lay the slab.
    Try laying one first, see how it turns out, you have nothing to loose, just a spoonful of mix...

Robertxxx likes this.
  16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

When I laid a few slabs the mixture was dryish but had to add quite a bit more water than for concrete. I also wetted the slab and concrete sub-base before hand so the water wouldn't get sacked out of the mix.

Robertxxx likes this.
  17. Robertxxx

Robertxxx New Member

Im thinking the same, maybe a 3-1 mix of sharp sand and cement and lay the slabs like laying blocks, if you know what I mean.

18. Robertxxx

Robertxxx New Member

So I was talking to a very experienced hardware shop worker who also has a small building job on the side.
    He said mix a very wet 3/1 builders sand and cement mix and basically glue them down.

I've removed all the slabs today and they are all clean, I'll rub a wire brush over the bottoms to clean and rough them up a little also spray a little water on the base before I lay them. Won't be doing it until tomorrow or mid week, weather depending.

19. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You could even stick them down with some waterproof grab adhesive, I've done this many times with block paving on steps, it works a treat.

20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Stixall ...........

Maybe :confused: