Lining Garage walls ?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Adam H, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Adam H

Adam H New Member

Hi Guys,

Hoping for a bit of advice/guidance.

Just wondering what the most cost effective way of lining a garage wall. Our garage doesnt get used for anything other than storing garden stuff, bikes and a fridge freezer and the cats live in there.

Its a link dedicated house which is linked by the garages, garages are white breeze block internal wall construction and being 10 years old and a couple of owners the breeze blocks have seen better days. So ideally id like to throw up some ply/mdf ? on the existing block walls just to tidy them up, maybe put some shelves, bike holders on the wall .

Question is can i do that ? Or do i need stud and insulate the walls too and have ventilation to prevent condensation ?

thanks for any info/advice

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Depends what you are trying to achieve. I don't think insulating the walls is a good idea as presumably you want the heat from the adjoining properties to permeate through, warm up the garage a bit.

You say the breeze blocks have seen better days, is it just cosmetic? May be fill in any gaps with mortar and use masonry paint.

3. Adam H

Adam H New Member

Its really only for cosmetic purposes mainly, the blocks are sound overall but previous owners have drilled things on the blocks without plugs which has resulted in things being pulled off the walls and leaving gashes and holes everywhere making it nearly impossible to hang anything up. I figured if i put some pye board up leaving a gap above the floor it might look better and provide a bit of support ?

As you can tell i havent got a clue lol

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Ply will provide support only in as far as the ply is supported. I would probably look to paint the walls, then securely screw battens on to the wall from which you can hang stuff from. Something like 2" x 1" roofing battens with 3"-4" No.10 screws.

5. Adam H

Adam H New Member

Ok that sounds reasonable, fill holes, batten up and paint . Would the breeze blocks soak up paint alot ? I assume id have to give it a whitewash to seal it maybe before painting ?

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Follow instructions on masonry paint, not sure if the first coat is usually thinned. It is masonry paint after all, its designed to be applied onto brick.

Adam H likes this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Go a drill size smaller for your plugs when drilling into soft block so you get a tighter fixing :)

Dr Bodgit and Adam H like this.
  8. Jowones

Jowones New Member

Use Masonry paint if painting. But a waste of time if battening out. If the blocks are looking tired on the inside, then it's the outside you need to be looking for remedials.
    I'd batten out with 2x1 slate lattes at 400cc, then staple some roofing breathable membrane to the lattes, then over board with your preference. Exterior ply obviously coming in top of the food chain, but if funding is a factor, OSB board is perfect for a garage. Strong and good against cold/damp to a degree.
    Comment above regards insulation and allowing heat from house to enter the garage.....NO NO NO NO NO. House should be insulated good enough for NASA.

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I suggest line all the walls and floor/ceiling with 100mm celotex built into a stud wall. Install background heating, plus a nice sofa and perhaps some fluffy blankets..............:D:D

Joe95 likes this.
  10. Adam H

Adam H New Member

haha, if i didnt know better you could easily be mistaken for the missus........who has actually brought them little fluffy beds and padded out the bottom of the workbench to put these beds on to for the winter. They get treated better than me :p

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Are you sure this is not for you sounds like your missus got a plan forming