Lining Paper Question

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by SaintsGal92, Feb 2, 2016.

1. SaintsGal92

SaintsGal92 New Member

Hello,

This is my first post so I hope I have put this in the correct area.

I have a quick question regarding lining paper. We have recently bought a house and are redecorating. We have stripped the wallpaper and have decided to use 800 grade lining paper as the walls were not in too bad of a condition.

However, my mother in law has done some of the lining for us last week (horizontally with slight gaps between each run) and we can still see some of the channels were electrics were channelled out etc. so we were wondering can we also line vertically over the top of our walls to hide these channels?

We are wallpapering not painting so I know we would need to make sure the seams would not line up with our wallpaper. I am just worried that if we lined vertically also would you see the small gaps between the horizontal runs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds like your mother in law knows what's she's doing, that's correct, gap should be between 1 - 3mm and the wallpaper will hide the lining paper join gaps. With regard to the channels ...preparation is the key as the finish will only be as good as what's underneath, so perhaps some more filler may be required.

3. SaintsGal92

SaintsGal92 New Member

Thank you very much, could we line vertically over what has already been done to add another layer to hide these channels?

Would we see the slight gaps between the horizontal runs if we lined vertically? Ie would the vertical lining paper 'sink into' the horizontal paper?

Many thanks

4. proby

proby Active Member

Some people do line vertically, you could always line over the top horizontally but do it so the joins are in a different place. I tend to use 1000 or 1200 lining paper 800 is a bit thin. But as Astra says preparation is the key you might be better to strip the wall that's the problem fill and sand and re line.

5. One red wall

One red wall New Member

What is the finish paper like that you are putting on? Personally I would feather out the rewire areas with a fine filler, light sand then line again with a better quality lining paper ,1200 grade. If your worried about doing it vertical just go horizontal again but strike a level around the middle of the wall and start from there , trimming top and bottom.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Lining paper will cover over imperfections, it will not hide them. Sounds like more prep work needed over the channels. You will not see any gaps once wallpapered. :);)

7. SaintsGal92

SaintsGal92 New Member

I think we are going to line vertically over the top of the horizontal lining paper that is already on the wall /- I am just worried about seeing the gaps that have been left between the horizontal lining paper through the sheets of vertical lining paper?

Has anyone lined vertically over horizontal lining paper?

8. One red wall

One red wall New Member

If your worried then fill them out..... What paper are you finishing with?

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

DO NOT FILL THE GAPS they are there for a reason :rolleyes:... expansion when sized and the wallpaper placed over it.......... you will not see the gaps once covered and dry. I've papered horizontal, vertical and every other way possible why ask for advice and not accept it :confused:;) does me ed in!

Tiny01 likes this.
  10. One red wall

One red wall New Member

Why would you size lining paper?

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

To improve adhesion and slip! why do you ask?

12. One red wall

One red wall New Member

But surely one of the reasons for lining the walls is to even the porosity of the surface , sizing again is just giving yourself more work, when really there isn't any need for it.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Some do, some don't, I do and have done so for 40+ years, doesn't make it the right or the wrong way just how I was trained as a lad, so have stuck with it.

14. proby

proby Active Member

Just lining over the lining paper that's on, there's a good chance you will still see the re wire lines and then you have just wasted time and money tackle the cause and do it properly you have to look at it every day. Don't fill the gaps any wet paper going on the top could make the lining paper expand a bit and push up against the filler. Only fill any gaps in lining paper if it's to be painted.

Astramax likes this.
  15. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

surely it leaves gaps under the paper when it all dries . if someones rubs across the paper does it not show up the lines? Sorry OP but it's something I've always wondered.
    I know that you can do two layers of lining, one horizontal and one vertical.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It leaves no gap when dry as the gaps is so small that when the paper dries and tightens it in effect becomes taut. Try some test pieces, No lines show unless the lining paper has overlapped on application.