Lintel Question

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Vin, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

Hi, I planning to replace my front door/window in upvc but I also want to move it forwards 490mm to the front of the house.
    Will I need to fit a lintel to support the three course of brick above the door an if so what type would you suggest?
    The lintel will only be supporting the bricks up top the height of the current soffit.
    Thanks in advance

2. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

Please see attached picture

Attached Files:

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

In theory yes you should fit a lintel.

If it's only 3 courses (9") would it not be prudent just to fit a upvc infill panel, save a lot of messing about..

4. Phil the Paver

Now I've seen the pic, I would personally be looking at a infill panel.

5. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

Thanks for that Phil...it would make sense if I can get one made to fit.
    I want to order this as supply only and fit it myself, can you tell me the name of the parts I need to order please?
    Obviously I need a door but what would I call the glazed side panel and the top infill panel?
    Thanks agin...much appreciated

6. Vin, take a photo of your current setup to show what you want, and accurate measurements of the opening. Then contact a goodly half-dozen (even by email) door manufacturers in your area.

Wait for the quotes.

Then ignore them.

Then wait for the phone calls.

Practice your 'sucking through teeth' "Hmm, that's more than I can afford right now, but thanks anyways..." Click-brrrrrrrrr.

Once you've heard from them all, you change this to "Oh. Sorry - X, Y and Z can do it for £X" Click-brrrrrr.

Once you are happy with a final price, say 'ta muchly'.

(Think through the design fully - might you prefer a slim glass panel either side of the door, for instance? Or even a glass trip above, rather than a white PVC panel? I'm not suggestion you should prefer this, just sayin' you should think about it...)

Vin likes this.
  7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Looking at the photo, you might already have a lintel above (certainly looks like it to me) ;);)

Vin and Biffo like this.
  8. Biffo

Biffo Member

there is a lintel in place ???

9. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

I believe OP is moving the new door further forward, so not referring to existing location where there already is a lintel.

FatHands and Vin like this.
  10. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

You are all right! There is already a lintel above the existing door but I am moving the door forward by about 490mm so it will be flush with the front of the house. I think I might get a glazed section above the door and centralise the door with a glazed frame on each side.

11. Phil the Paver

That's exactly what I would do, will look nice given that the brickwork on either side is of a different type so you are dividing it completely.

FatHands and Vin like this.
  12. joinerjohn1

Have to agree with Phil. A glazed section above the door and the door central with a smaller panel either side

Vin likes this.
  13. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

Well we're all agreed then, that's what I'll do.
    I'll start getting quotes tomorrow.
    Thanks lads

14. joinerjohn1

We want photos when it's done ;);)

15. It'll cost more tho'... :p

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

These are two options:

Option 1

Door 2.jpg

Option 2

Door 1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  17. Ooh, brick infills at t'bottom? That would help to integrate the design, indeedy.

Of course the cheapest option would be to keep it as it is - one door and one large sealed panel with a white infill above. But not the nicest...

Tbh, having the single door is more of an issue where it is now - recessed - as it makes you stand close to that left wall which probably feels a wee bit awkward as well as maybe making shifting large furniture through there more tricky.

That will be less of a problem with the whole thing brought forward, but I agree that Jit's (et al) designs look a lot better.

Vin, also give some thought as to how far out the new location is - anything like 'flush' tends, to my eyes at least, to look a bit 'cheap'. I think better to have it stepped in a bit, even 100-odd mm.

And, of course, the cheapest cheapest option is to use the doors you already have...

18. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

Thanks for all the replies and I particularly like the design in picture 2 but I'm not sure about the opening vents.

From a practical point of view they would be great but I can't help thinking the side panels would look better with transoms that are in line with the centre of the door.
    I think you're right DA, it would look better stepped back slightly and that would still allow me to open up the hallway slightly.
    It's hard to explain without pics but to the right of the front door there is a downstairs cloakroom, the door from the hallway into the cloakroom needs moving slightly to the right to allow me to make it into a utility room.
    Moving the front door will allow me to do that.
    It may be possible to move the existing door but it's a wooden frame etc and I think I will eventually replace all the doors and windows with Upvc.

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yes you could use the existing door.

But there are many different profiles of uPVC available, and if you are particular it may not match..

I have recently had some aluminum windows installed, expensive at nearly twice the cost of upvc.

The advantages with aluminum is that due to its inherent strength the frames can be a lot thinner in sections allowing more light to come in. The sight line on my windows is 75mm.

If going for upvc, visit the showrooms to see them in situ as they are not the same, I know that there are steel reinforced upvc windows available, but this isn't my specialty.

Again if this is on a supply only basis, you will have to supply your own measurements.

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Option 3

Door 3.jpg