Little help on what insulation is best for filling a void in a box section

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by angellonewolf, Sep 22, 2016.

1. angellonewolf

angellonewolf New Member

Please see pic Below

This is a box that holds up the upstairs exterior wall up with 2 large Rsj and there is the cavity

My question is what type if insulation should I use to fill the void I do have 2 rolls of loft insulation but I'm thinking this is not the best idea as loft insulation does not dry out very fast if moisture gets to it and as the box section is under the cavity there is a chance of condensation so my idea was to use loose wall insulation would be better ? Or any other thing would be better if any one can recommend some thing

Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

2. angellonewolf

angellonewolf New Member

any help at all please

3. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I cannot see anything but a storage cupboard here!

Clearer pictures would help.

4. angellonewolf

angellonewolf New Member

yes in the middle of the painting and new rad in the next room so using it as storage at the mo in the pic 1/3 down the box section that is fresh plasterboard is the bit that i need to fill

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

This is a bit like Rolf Harris "Can you tell what it is yet ?"

Looked at it a few times even with the picture on the side, it isn't obvious

6. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

If there is no sign of condensation underneath it I would leave it as it is.

7. angellonewolf

angellonewolf New Member

there is no condensation but there is a gap the heat from the house can get to the cavity its only one piece of plasterboard to stop the heat escaping in to the upstairs cavity between the 2 walls of the house

8. angellonewolf

angellonewolf New Member

This is the box section that covers the 2 rsj they are off set so there is a bit of space if you remove the bottem piece of plaster board you can see all the way up in to the cavity

Attached Files:

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If I'm looking at this right, if you can get at it, cut celotex/kingspan foam insulation and fit it in between the space between the rsj's, you may need to wedge timber up above in between the webs to have a level to stop the insulation at. I would also take off the plasterboard on the sides of the rsj's, fit insulation in the web with a bit of expanding foam to secure and seal gaps then refit. To finish off the bare underside of the two rsj's I would run a couple of beads of expanding foam the full length, then wedge plasterboard up tight, give a few hours to fully cure, then take away the props wedging the plasterboard. Bead the external corners with galvanized angle bead, the internal corners with scrim tape, and get it skimmed. Jobs hopefully a good 'un.

10. angellonewolf

angellonewolf New Member

Heres a pic of the inside it's been open unti I mover in thr property I'm going round and doing what I can to help with insulation as I do expect to live there for a fair few years

Putting soild stuff in there is going to be a pain in the rearend so loose or the type of loft stuff is going to be a lot easier as I can tuck it in

Attached Files:

11. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

The exterior wall will get damp. To what degree, well, that depends on the bricks, the pointing, the mortar and the aspect of the wall, and any other nearby buildings, etc. That, presumably is, at the moment, an unknown factor, so right now I wouldn't put any insulation in. You may get a fair bit of damp coming down from that wall, in that case the last thing you want to do is put anything absorbent in it's way. Right now I would be tempted to just leave it and see what happens. You aren't going to lose a significant amount of heat through there.

12. angellonewolf

angellonewolf New Member

I have had it open for a fair few months as been doing work around in the ajoining rooms ceilings down

13. Rssteve

Rssteve New Member

Should there not of been cavity trays fitted above outside to stop any water getting down?

14. angellonewolf

angellonewolf New Member

yes probably but this was built in the 1980 cant do any thing about that now

15. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

You could stuff it with mineral wool insulation and you need fit plasterboard to fire protect the steels

16. angellonewolf

angellonewolf New Member

the whole box section will be plasterboared