Load bearing walls - adjoining walls

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by woods100, Feb 22, 2015.

1. woods100

woods100 Member

I'm thinking of enlarging the bathroom by removing a wall that sits between the bathroom and separate toilet. There is nothing above the wall which I want to remove, only carrying ceiling joists (4") , but it does join a load bearing wall. I was thinking maybe thickening out the present joists to 6" to increase the strength.

Is the rule always that load bearing walls take downwards loads or do walls that join at 90' ever act as a buttress for support or act as anything other than room dividers.

The wall I am wanting to remove has a door with the casing against the load carrying wall so there really is only 2ft of brick work connected.

The load bearing wall is a little different as built into the loft is small pier and it carries two purlins (rather than one the full length of the house) the house was early 1920's

I've not looked deeply into the make up of the wall, both sides are tiled and total width is no more than 3 inch thick - but before I start poking around making holes in it - I thought I'd ask you guys.

The opposite wall making up the WC was pretty poor when I tried to rawl plug it for loo roll holder, it was just black powder - I ended up fitting the rawl plug with silicon.

If this may function as a different type of wall other than a divider - could you let me know what they are called in the trade ?

I've had one quote so far, four days to knock wall down, clear away and some basic skimming - the builder didn't think removing it was an issue and a fairly simple job.

thanks in advance guys.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

99.9% certain it will be ok to remove as long as the ceiling joists do not sit directly on to it via a wall plate.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Woods, what is the overall span of the 4" joists above? And where along that span does this wall lay?

4" joists aren't big, so all they're really suitable for is holding up a ceiling - I wouldn't like to walk over it, or store stuff up in the loft.

4. Phil the Paver

my loft is only 4" x 2" joists, loads of stuff up there. :)

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Mine is full too!

6. You two had better start wearing safety helmets :p

Ok, ok, ok... it depends on the span :oops:.

Probably.

If Wood's ceiling joists are getting some support from this bathroom wall, then he can likely expect it won't feel as good up there when he's next storing stuff. 'Sall I'm saying... :)

7. woods100

woods100 Member

one end sits on the wall plate (on inner course of outside wall) it spans 5'10 onto the wall I want to remove, then on 3' to the next wall. So if that wall came out, the new length of span would be 8' 10" between supports.
    I could run a 8x2 mid way and hang it if needed. Or just strength up by thickening out the current joists.

It's more around removing the wall, so does only downwards count on supporting, no radial or transverse loads on connected walls to take into account ?

This one is pretty thin even when tiled both side, so if might even be just lath and plaster.

8. Phil the Paver

You will be fine removing it, the 8'10" span should be ok as well as long as you don't go overloading it with junk.