Locating utility services underground

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jitender, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Having lots of work carried out.

Will be propositioning the mains water pipe. Could anyone recommend a company that will locate and mark all the utility pipes/cables on the ground? To include gas, water and electric pipes.
    Thanks

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Ask the utility companies for their plans of the services under your property, they should be able to advise you.

3. That's a bit kinky,will it not get upset?

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I doubt the utility companies will have any such plans. When SGN came to relocate my gas meter they first had to locate my gas pipe from the house to the road, which proved difficult. What they thought was the gas pipe was in fact the electricity cable, eventually locating the gas pipe due to some concrete in front of the garage having been disturbed. They used a bit of kit which was 'clamped' to the cast iron gas pipe at one end so did some electrical trickery. I have no idea how they'd locate the water pipe.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Jitender likes this.
  6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

That's the thingy SGN used

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If successful, Jit may get to 'lay that pipe' :)

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  8. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

If you are repositioning will you be laying a new pipe?

If so, all you need to find is the street toby mains as that's where you will terminate your new pipe. The rest of the pipe run can be done to suit what path you decide is best for you

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Ouch, realized my spelling mistake :eek: :oops: :D

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  10. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

If you are based on Scotland or north of England, Scottish Power have a cable maps database that is basically free to access, although you do need to buy an Ordnance Survey licence (about £50 I think).

Jitender likes this.
  11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I know when I had someone from WPD (Western Power Distribution). They had a map.

I know roughly where everything is, but just want to make sure than have the trouble if I hit something.

Think I'm going to hire the CAT toll that KIAB has listed, I know they have it in the local hire shop near me.

Thanks

Maybe they will give me a demo.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Do you know where I can buy tracer wire from?

I will be running some water pipe later on so will be placing this in the ducting.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member