Location of radiators

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by hopefulBuilder, Nov 14, 2014.

1. I am installing central heating in an old (1955) house I just bought (for me). It has loft and wall insulation and new double glazed windows. Floorboards are all original, never been touched.

Years ago I installed CH and advice was to site rads under the windows. But these days I think that is not required (with better insulation).

It would be very easy to run pipes down the hall way, and locate rads just inside the door of each room. Minimum pipe runs, minimum floorboard disruption.

What would you advise? Is it OK to have rads by the door of each room. Or would it be better to locate them further into the room?

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

your choice, in theory the position of the rad does't make any differance in a closed room, it will radiate heat from the sourse (radiator) and the radiated heat will convect upwards travel onlong the ceiling and fall to the floor where its attracted back to the radiator by the convected currents,
    In reality if the woman wants furniture against every wall, its best under the window unless, she wants long curtains to the floor then ts best where SHE says,

hopefulBuilder likes this.
  3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I just removed a single (big) rad from the centre of our living room and replaced with 2 rads at either end of the same wall as the big rad was so central that we couldnt put our sofa anywhere whithout the heat hitting it from that rad! Check to see if you have any big items of furniture that will be in the way of where a rad might go.

4. As said above - modern rads are far more efficient, and also much better at circulating the heat upwards and around the room, so positioning for heat is not so critical.

But do think carefully about its cosmetic impact and furniture location. Our main rad is behind the sofa, but it's 2 to 3 feet in front, so doesn't affect how the rad heats the room (double-convector).

5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Going back a few years I worked for a firm which was involved with the EAGA installations, on these it was a requirement that the radiator was always installed on an internal wall. When I started back in the 70's we put the radiators under windows for two reasons, first they believed it would convect the heat better under the window and second your less likely to want to put any substantial sized furniture in front of it.
    My current thinking, you put it where it suits you but do make sure each one is sized to suit the heat loss for each particular room. There are plenty of online calculators to help you get the right size Rad.

6. Thanks for the replies. I will position the rads for cosmetic reasons and furniture avoidance, as well as convenient piping.
    I calculated the sizes (online) and after that got double glazing and wall/loft insulation installed. Then recalculated; all sizes changed to about 20% smaller. And smaller boiler size. Win all round.

I appreciate your helpful comments. Thank you.

7. Is your boiler a 'combi' type? If so, definitely stick with the larger size, as this is what delivers your domestic hot water. And a seemingly over-sized combi will modulate down the suit the rad system, so no chance of 'overpowering' it.

hopefulBuilder likes this.
  8. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

The insulation may have improved, but the heat loss through 1m² of d.g window is still 4 to 6 times greater than through 1m² of cavity filled wall. So you will still get the same problems with draughts near the windows.

9. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Under windows is best (with short curtains) as it dead space in a room.
    Rad will heat about 90% by convection, less than 10% by radiation.
    Tall, narrow column radiators add a modern look to a room and don't take much wall space. But will cost more though. Make sure you've got a solid wall to fix em to though.

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

they're not draughts Sam, they're convection air currents, draughts come through open doors or open windows or beer kegs :D

11. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

I thought that draughts was a game played on a chequer board :)

12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

yes, that as well dave,

13. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Maybe they are; but they will feel like a draught to the average occupant.