Lockable door handle

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by M402, Oct 18, 2015.

1. M402

M402 New Member

We have decided to replace our bathroom door handle so we chose a specific bathroom handle. We were assuming that this handle would work like our previous handle and that twisting the thumb turn would prevent the handle being pressed therefore locking the door. This isn't the case! Do we have to buy and fit a separate mortice lock or can we get some form of plate/cam to fit inside the handle that will prevent the handle turning.? We don't want to make an extra hole in the door so really wanted something that worked like our previous handle. I have searched the internet but cannot even find other handles that work in this way! Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

You normally get the round door handles and a push button. Which stops you from turning.

But I'm guessing your right you may have to change the catch mortise. inside the door now to match your handles.
    Which means more holes. I could've wrong

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You really ought to have one that goes through the door, so as to have the safety unlock on the outside for emergencies.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Post a picture of what you have bought.

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

You won't be able to convert with plates.

Your best option is a new handles or buy a round knob style. That then will work with your

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Stick up a picture of you handle choice.

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

beat me to it chip

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Sounds like you have bought handle that needs a notice lock, as you have already worked out.

This set up is all together a stronger lock, that can't be forced by over eager children desperate to get in while your sitting on the pan. :p:p:p

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Mortice, not notice. :p:p

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I hadn't morticed your typo.;);)