Locked in (faulty UPVC door mechanism)

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by WackySpike, Oct 16, 2009.

1. kat_1

kat_1 New Member

just leave £50 taped to the inside glass in plain view, the door will get opened by the door fairies

2. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

Hi guys managed to knock two of the four pins out of the hinge but the two pins in the centre hinges are jammed in tight, any hints?

3. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Try & jiggle/wedge the door, get annother pair of hands to see if you can take the weight off it. If you're unlucky there will be inaccessible grub screws locking the pins in - but if you got the others out I guess not.

4. paddyodoors

paddyodoors New Member

wacky im on me way up tescos in a minute do u want me to get u any shopping /do they still sell those cartons of milk that fit through the letterbox

5. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

Mr GrimNasty your right there are inaccessible grub screws locking the pins in.

paddyodoorsyou need no worry I've been using the cat flap to get in and out.

6. Big Jumbo

Big Jumbo New Member

Still recon' the hidges are the way to go, again depending on type. If you were going to adjust them you would work from the top, having removed the cap, and eventually they would wind out.

7. Mr GrimNasty

Some pins have a recess that an inaccessible grub screw locks into. If they've been done up to engage this slot as intended, there is no way to get the pin out without extreme force and almost certain destructive damage.

8. Doink

Doink New Member

Just ring your insurance company and let them get a locksmith in,it'll cost your XS if the locks available,if not you may get a new door out of it

9. Mr GrimNasty

If you are prepared to sacrifice the hinges and get replacements you can do whatever it takes. e.g. A small angle grinder might get you out of gaol - but protect the upvc from hot metal sparks.

10. klondike

klondike New Member

Get yourself a locksmith, the gear mech in the door has broken, taking the hinges off wont solve your problem, of all the trades on here not one of the answers suggested the gearbox, you dont need to change the lock, get the box changed by a reputable guy, it will cost you a lot less than cutting the hinges off and then having to repair the damage your going to cause, nice going to the lads that suggested the locksmith route, at least some intelligence is out there, as for the guy suggesting the grinder,, well,,,, do you have any indians about buddy cos you dont half sound like a cowboy.

11. Doink

Doink New Member

Wow wow wow klondike read my first post.....

'if the door has been hard to lock you end up putting to much force through the square drive and it breaks up and falls into the main gearbox.'

I have given my opinion on how i would open the door having spent 20 years in in the DG industry and the last 12 as a service engineer.

Some gearboxes can be removed by removing the torx screws yes but some you cant as they are riveted on,no locksmith is going to faf about drilling rivets out to change a gearbox when it'll be just as cheap to fit a new mech

12. Mr GrimNasty

Yes doink you did say it, so no one else bothered.
    Obviously a locksmith is the obvious option, and was suggested. The other advice is aimed at desperate DIY - as he seems to be set on it!

13. Doink

Doink New Member

Lol! But in response to klondikes post in order to fit a gearbox you have to open the flippin door,i have given my non destructive way OR if your not competant get a locksmith in

14. klondike

klondike New Member

A decent locksmith will have a tool called a spreader where you can spread the door allowing you to release the locking bolts (dog screws) takes a couple of minutes and leaves no permanant damage to the door, why pfaff about grinding hinges, apologies if my inital post came across as sarcastic, it wasnt meant in that tone, maybe i should read what i post before pressing "post message" it was the shock at seeing "grind the hinges off" that caused me to think oh my god,lol, theres quite a few locksmith related sites out there thats full of decent information, lockpicking101 or ukbumpkeys.com but to name 2 of the better ones, i'm a member of both and have had some great help from the people off both those sites. apologies for the site names, i'm not trying to spam just help out people if they get stuck.

15. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

Its alright Guys I just wanted to know if there was a relatively easy way of opening the door. I haven't done anything drastic and called the locksmith earlier today he should be coming around tomorrow.

16. flippin heck

flippin heck New Member

I did a locksmith course about 15 years ago, and like to explain a few things. The usual method of tackling any lock (other than picking) is by taking advantage of any weaknesses that it has, so a good knowledge of the different locks on the market is essential. A lock with lever handles is particularly handy as it allows access to the lock from the area behind the handle when removed, and after making good; the handle fits over the repair.
    In most cases, (though not this one) it is the cylinder which is at fault, or the key is missing, in which case, overcoming the cylinder is not be a problem, as they are not a very secure compared with conventional lever mortice locks.
    The problem with the upvc type of door is as in this case where the actual mechanism is faulty, and with the handles secured from the inside, makes it difficult to get at the locking mechanisms without damaging the handles too. In this particular case though, access is possible from the inside so the handles can be removed. In the past, I’ve been able on a number of occasions been able to access the faulty mechanism and open the door this way, and using something like a spreader would be a last resort.

The answer to your question then is no, there is no easy method of dealing with this problem.

17. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

What would be a reasonable price for opening the door he (the locksmith) quoted me £60 for opening the door and £180 for opening it and replacing the whole mechanism. Is this a reasonable price?

or shall I replace the central gearbox myself. From my past experience when the mechanism was giving me trouble I managed to unscrew the strips from the gearbox and even managed to open the gearbox, this was over a year ago.

he was suppose to turn up this morning but I had to cancel, hes coming back tomorrow morning.

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Aha! :(

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

So you ballsed up the gearbox with your meddling a year ago and you want to have another go now, you muppet :(

20. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

I'm not entirely stupid, also a fledgling mechanical engineer, so you can quit with the facetious comments. If It was fine I wouldn't have needed to open the darn thing. It was broken I was looking to replace it at the time, but on opening I did discover a small piece from the gearbox had broken and was jamming the mechanism, when removed it did start working again and lasted me over a year and a half. Sure should have just replaced it at the time, but what the hell. I wish I was but I aint loaded.