Locks for HMO - student's doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Studentrooms, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Studentrooms

Studentrooms Member

Hi.

Sorry for simple questions...

I need to fit door locks to rooms in an HMO for Students, they need to lock with individual keys, but be openable from inside WITHOIT a key for easy escape, I guess is just a thumb turn.

I guess they don't need the full "panic locks" like in a final exit door.

Do they need simple sash locks.. ? But that will require a key from both sides no... ?

I can't see it's anything too complex, but can't seem to find the right stuff anywhere... where can I buy the right stuff, sensible quality at sensible prices ?

I guess I could use simple old fashioned Yale night latches, but the students will only lock themselves out of the rooms and call me at 2am.. never ideal.

THANKS

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Euro locks I'd say. The sash locks here. http://www.screwfix.com/p/securefast-euro-cylinder-sashlock-satin-chrome-2-64mm/88155 Thumbturn on the inside and key on the outside with this, http://www.screwfix.com/p/era-6-pin-euro-cylinder-thumbturn-lock-35-35-70mm-satin/94614.
    Ideally, you'd want to buy a suited set of locks so the main front door to the building could be opened with every bedroom key, but bedrooms could only be opened with their individual keys. A suited set, would come with a master key (for the building owner/lettings agency)

3. Studentrooms

Studentrooms Member

Ok, I see,

so it's a handle suitable for Euro cylinder, the Euro cylinder with thumb turn and a sash lock suitable for the euro lock.

about £30 worth per door :-(

I guess the way it to buy it all as a set if cheaper.

Your matched key idea is great, have heard of them, but so far am still walking round like a jailer....

OK Thanks

4. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014