Lockshield radiator valves?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by GlynnH, Oct 26, 2016.

?

I have opened the upstairs lockshield valves half a turn. Is is the same for downstairs?

1. Advice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Help

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GlynnH

GlynnH New Member

I have just fitted a magna clean, flushed all radiators and added inhibitor to my central heating system. I have a combi boiler and 10 radiators. All the lockshield valves were fully open before I started - I have TRV's fitted. I've read that lockshield valves should only be open a quarter to half a turn on the upstairs radiators? What about the downstairs valves - should they be the same? All the radiators get hot but I'm wondering if I should close down the lockshield valves a bit?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Glynn

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can adjust the lockshields to balance the system, usually the radiator nearest to the boiler will get hot first,& furthest away the last to heat,so you would close the lockshield down a bit on radiator nearest boiler, can be a long winded process.
    You to have lockshields & trv's fully open to balance system
    Just about to pop out, so haven't time to fully explain now.:(

A well designed system should need little balancing.:)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  3. GlynnH

GlynnH New Member

Thanks - as a rule of thumb is a quick way to balance radiators by upstairs rads being opened by a quarter of a turn and downstairs by half a turn? This seems to be a common suggestion on other sites unless you want to go to the trouble of using a digital thermometer?
    Thanks again.
    Glynn