loft conversion and trussed roof. does my builder know what he's doing? please help

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by T Jed, Nov 8, 2015.

1. T Jed

T Jed New Member

Hi all, It's so nice to find a forum on screwfix. It would be very kind of you guys if you could please point me in the right direction. As you can see it's 3.30am and I am still trolling the internet stressed with what to do. I have recently bought a semi bungalow and I have decided to convert the loft. The bungalow area is big enough to make 4 small partitions up (one being bathroom). However there is trussed roof beams in the middle a bit father apart. (I have attached a couple of pictures for you to see and will attach more) The builder has suggested that he would move the vertical supporting beams a bit closer so they will come within the partitioning walls. He has said there is no need to put steal beams then. He has suggested 6m long (7x2) timberwood pieces placed on house walls.

I am a bit concerned if he is doing the right thing? You guidance would be much appreciated. many thanks

Attached Files:

2. T Jed

T Jed New Member

Hi, any help? thanks

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Were there any plans draws up for the loft conversion, a structural engineer is usually employed to provide the sizing of any beams etc.

If the loft is being constructed under permitted development, then building regulations will still need to be followed.

4. You will need a structural engineer, not only for the design of the permanent works, but also the temporary works (how the roof will be supported during the works etc.). If that roof comes down, you have no home to live in.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

As above, all of this should have been sorted long before work started, Building Control will need to be inform, there are also fire regulation that need to be followed for loft conversions, concerning escape routes etc.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I don't entirely know what you are talking about but that is a cut roof not trussed so there is more flexibility.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

A change of this magnitude will normally require planning especially as I guess you are going to have a dormer / mansard roof ? to get the headroom.

You will definitely need building control involved and they will not only require plans but structural reports for all the main elements- Stairs, floor and roof etc. Alsothe stresses that will be put on the existing structures.

Quite often architects and engineers will "hide" supports within walls to not only make the space easier to use but also add strength to the walls and provide extra stability to the support itself. With the limited information we have the builder / architect could be proposing something like this

[​IMG]

Only an engineer will be able to attest that a timber beam will be sufficient for your needs

8. T Jed

T Jed New Member

Hi, Many thanks but I am not going to have any dormer or make changes to outside. My builder is supposed to start work this week. Do you think I should delay the work and get structural report done first? thank you

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yes most definitely. Firstly for your own safety and peace of mind. Secondly your structural engineer will probably save you money and keep you on the right side of the law and help you deal with building control. Building control are on the side of the client and to the best of their abilities try and make sure structural work complies with the relevant standards and is safe.

If your builder says you don't go to building control because of this or that - ask him to jump back on his horse and ride back to dodge and rejoin the rest of the cowboys.

10. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

For a bungalow fire issues not too serious, BUT engineered design vital as is BC involvement. Otherwise when the kids sell the place to put you in a home there will be grief. Party Wall agreement needed if you start putting beams into party wall.

By the by, some engineers will throw steels everywhere and others (like me) use mainly timber and the existing structure. Good engineering can save a shed load of money and give a better space so get someone who is prepared to look at options and not sling together the first layout he thinks of.

Rear dormer would still be PD usually and give loads more space so well worth thinking about.

I think I would get shot of this cowboy: 6m 7x2 won't fly at all, at all

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

This is a bungalow now but once a bedroom is in the roof space it ceases to be and fire regs come into play

12. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

NOT TOO SERIOUS does not mean nonexistent. Again BC need to be happy with proposals BEFORE you start.

13. T Jed must be pretty worried by now... :(

Don't lose sight - T Jed - that this is your house and you want (need) it to be done properly.

You might get away with it, but that's all it could ever be if you continue with this as it is - "getting away with it". Hardly a reassuring or comforting way to live.

As pointed out above, if/when you come to sell you could be in all sorts of awkwardness, and find that such a conversion with no PP or BCO oversight will be relatively worthless. I can't think of any buyer's solicitor who would turn a blind eye to that!

As Steve points out above, there could also be a Party Wall issue here - when your 'builder' starts work in your loft, expect your semi-neighb to wonder what the 'ell is going on and how it might affect them. You will be carrying out work that could affect them - especially if it isn't done to a proper standard (weakened roof, anyone?).

I don't understand how a builder can think they can start such a conversion and do the work seemingly on the hoof - no plans, no structural calcs, no written evidence of conforming to building regs.

Can we ask - what have the builders shown you about this job? Sketches? Room dimensions? Insulation levels? Fire regs?