loft conversion floor support

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dritch34, Oct 10, 2014.

1. dritch34

dritch34 New Member

Planning a loft conversion my house is a timber frame with a trussed roof anyone got any ideas how I can support my new floor joists thanks

2. Get Wood

Get Wood New Member

Steels would be the answer in most cases. Its best to have a structural engineer to have a look. It is possible to just have a Velux loft with joists fixed from wall plate to wall plate. But again for it to clear building regs I would advise to get in some experts.

Nice example here

http://www.strongtie.co.uk/iloft/

FatHands likes this.
  3. dritch34

dritch34 New Member

Yeah looked at strong tie but would need a joist 4 mm deep as I have a span of 7.2m have also looked at telebeam but there pricey and have a timber party wall so not sure what to do for best would 7.2 be to much for a flitch beam ???????

4. Get Wood

Get Wood New Member

Max I would care to go with flitch beams is about 5m. Any advice of the internet is not going to even compare to getting a structural engineer out. Their not too expensive and the cost it could save you in the long run.

You are going to need something to break the span of the joists. If your party walls are not up for supporting this load you will need to take the load through the house and onto the foundations.

Bottom line. You need some on site advice from someone who has a very big calculator.