loft conversion ideas, prices!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by audi-evo, Nov 19, 2008.

1. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Have a trad 3 bed semi, usual box bed as third.
    Was thinking of doing the loft but no where i can see for stairs other than loosing the box bed.
    So would it be worth it to have a larger bed but loose a small, so still a 3 bed.
    Or make 2 beds in the loft but small.
    Oh and the usual question..............how much would it cost???????????

2. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

If you're going to the expense of a loft extension then going from a 3 bed to a 3 bed doesn't make sense unless you're desperate for the space.

Is your roof gabled or hipped ? With recent planning changes it seems as though gables conversions are quite acceptable and this will usually give you the room for loft stairs.

Speak to a decent achitect and they might give you some ideas.

We paid over £30k 4 years ago. (East london)

Ended up with a huge bedroom and bathroom. Well pleased. Well worth doing. Wouldn't buy a house now that couldn't have it done.

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

yeah i know 3 bed to 3 bed makes little sense even though the new one will be bigger.
    It is a hipped roof so i suppose 3 sides would have limited height.
    Maybe i'm just bored and am running out of things to do to the house ;)
    Not sure if i'd spend 30k on it though (we're poor up north).

4. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

We're poor down south now.....

:)

Having to eat the lumpfish caviar rather than the beluga....

5. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Sorry but you will never convince me to eat something that looks like the stuff that spews from zombies in a horror film and tastes like salty cat food!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rather have a greggs cheese pasty
    ;)

6. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

I'm just coming to the end of a conversion. Did a load of it myself and got 2 decent sized bedrooms, but sacrificed the (tiny) bathroom for the stairs: solution was to convert one original bedroom into and ensuite for the master b/room and the rest into a large family bathroom. Cost: 25k which included 2 dormers. Do what you can for yourself - you'll save a packet and sit back at the end with a large satisfied grin!

Oh, and use this forum - loads of good, free advice delivered with humour and (usually) not too much derisive laughter! Also, get the BCO on your side.

WM

7. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

If i can get 2 beds up there i'll be very happy.
    If i can i was thinking the box bedroom i am giving up for the stairs would alo be so be able to be used as an en-suite for the master bed.
    Think i need to get a tape measure out!!!!

8. supachip

supachip New Member

I read from your postings you live in a semi with a hipped roof . Well you might have a problem fitting a stair case in the smaller bedroom due to roof slope and head room unless you modified roof to achive head room.

9. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

yep, your right, i think this is ill thought out.
    It's not gonna work is it!!!!!!!!
    I'll have to think of a new project to busy myself!!!!!
    Maybe i'll just get a train set up there ;)

10. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

Ya chicken - c'mon, you know you want to do it!

11. chappers

chappers Member

Shouldn't be a problem if you raise the side hip to a gable and create a full width dormer at the back, you could easily have a large room and en-suite up there or two smaller rooms.
    Is there no possibility of putting the new staircase up over the existing.
    Does it look like anyone else in your street has converted theirs.