Loft conversion timber sizes for Ashlar wall and collars

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by A beale, May 5, 2016.

1. A beale

A beale Member

hi I am completing a Diy loft conversion. Steels are in which are uc71 203x203. All BC drawings and planning are approved and I've started. Our BC drawings are not very detailed on the above sizes. The structural engineer drawings only stated beam sizes and rafter sizes.

I've so many problems with both that I don't want to go back to them anymore and I'm just after the recommendations for timber sizes. The roof rafters are 100 x 50 and at 400 centres. There is 15 wall to wall. The engineer drawings specify all rafters at 100 x 50, would this include Ashlar and collars too? As I need to put in a timber to the I section of the rsj, a 175mm timber would be fine and I was just going to to order a job lot of this size and build the Ashlar using the same and collars. There is no ridge beam just the two floor beams to take weight of roof and new floor.

Are 175's over kill or OK please.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not sure if the 71 figure is correct, thought this was the wight of beam per meter?

3. A beale

A beale Member

4. A beale

A beale Member

Hi I'm not sure on the beam I left that to the structure engineer it's a massive rsj 206mm wide by 216 depth and the steel is 17mm thick top and bottom and 12 mm thick on the i section. It's in now too!

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I currently in the early stages of mine.

I only had the SE do the steels for the floor, I have 4 columns in total; i) ridge beam ii) Stair trimmer iii) 2 x Floor joists.

Although the SE hasn't specified the support walls.

For rafters look at insulation specx, as will need a clear depth for ventilation.

6. A beale

A beale Member

The SE had specified the rafters from Ashlar to collar but not those two!

I assume as dead weight on Ashlar then depth should be ok with anything 100mm and above. I just don't want to add weight with oversized timbers!

Thanks

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

For my ones the SE has speced. 100x50 c16 at 40 c/c on a 100x75 wall/sole plate

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When the joist hangers are in place has the SE said anything about supporting the backs of the hanger?

Also what joist are you looking at putting in, I am getting prices for I joists.

9. The full back of a joist hanger needs to be against the wall.You also need a minimum of 3 courses of blockwork or roughly 27" of brickwork above joist hangers.

10. A beale

A beale Member

Hi yes engineer said 100x50 and I've gone for c24 as this is what he said but my SE said c16! He has signed off my steels now and said he wants the back of joist hangers with an infill within the rsj and must be Bolted through the rsj and then the Ashlar wall plate strapped to the front of the rsj to wood infill.

My only question now is the rsj is 210 wide and ideally the Ashlar wall needs to be on the front edge as the floor sits lower than the beam. I'm waiting to hear from him if he is happy with that as I assume the roof load is then not dead centre of the beam!

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is a drawing I had form SE. I can see what you are saying about when coming to dryline the walls, as you want the supports to be sticking out further so the noggins will be hidden from view.

Otherwise you would have to fix another batten to the front face, more work:(. So maybe 150mm would have been better, then a batten secured on the UC infill.

What joist have you gone for?

upload_2016-5-10_14-24-45.png

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I'm going to aim for something like this:

[​IMG]

13. A beale

A beale Member

The drawing is exactly what I've done.

Still waiting to hear from BC as I had asked him directly the question but if you've got this drawing from your SE then sounds as though it's fine.

Floor joists I'm going for a Wolfe system which are stronger and lighter than standard SC4 timbers as my span is 4.4m. I'm waiting on a quote.

The only drawback is I will need to overlap the ceilings with9.5mm plasterboard to fire rate the ceiling below as the wolf system would not give as much fire rating as an SC4 big heavy timber.

What about you?

The picture of what to end up with is what mine will look like apart from I've got a 175x47mm wall plate on the beam which the BC saw and was fine with.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I'm going for engineered joists, was looking at web ones, but limited on height of eventual room :( Not going to be a massive conversion.

Spent most of the day working out the steel layout. I had the structural calcs revised based on 152UC or 203UC.

Awaiting quote for 15 x 145x47mm JJI joists (James John). The max span for this is 3470mm at 300 c/c. Was going to go for 195mm but space is tight.

I understand you only need 30 min protection, so a single layer of skimmed plasterboard would be ok?

The span you gave is coming out to 195x47/63mm on the JJI calculator.

15. A beale

A beale Member

I'll take a look tonight at those. BC came back and said sitting at front is fine as minimal twist providing rsj finally bricked in.

Our BC is helpful so far, I think they like you asking questions to confirm its all ok, personally if you're a competent person the finish will be better as well spend time on things and not bang them out like some Biulders. I had a new porch built and the brick work is very messy! Urggg

Keep in rich then in case any questions we both have! This weeken
    By the way it was BC who said to me to add 9.5mm to existing ceiling if I'm not going for a solid timber.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Because its over 4m span, would need a strong back installed and half point. Looks like a good system.

There are quite a few manufactures of easi-joist. i got the no from PASQUILL who sell posi joist.

Because 145mm aren't a popular size, it will take upto 3 weeks to make.

17. They are Jiffy hangers in the photo which are fine.
    Not a fan of Joist hangers.

18. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I would raise 2 points here:

1. If you hang all the joists off one side of a steel like this you will induce torsion. the simplest way to counter this is to put some hangers on the back face. I generally specify the steel to be set up a bit (it's in the wall so it doesn't matter) or you could just cut a big rebate out of say 1 joist in 3.

2. Regarding the fancy joists if you look at Trada tables you will find that 47x145 C24 is ok to 3.33m at 400crs. If you close them up you could spn further

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

203's are supplied in 71 kg/m so the figure is correct.

Must of been a job getting in.:eek:

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

For mine the architect specified C24 170x63 400c/c.

But had a look today and want to go for the I joists feel they are more stable, They wont need bracing for the whole length of span per unit, which will speed up installation.

The 145mm I joist need to be spaced at 300c/c