Loft ladder problem.

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by gordon34, Nov 22, 2014.

1. gordon34

gordon34 New Member

I have recently installed a Youngman 'Easiway' 3 section loft ladder at my daughter's home. The problem is, it will not lay in a horizontal position when fully stowed in the loft. I think the pivot arm is too long. I have fixed the glider stops as close as possible to the bottom end of the top section of the ladder so the ladder goes into the loft to its fullest extent. The pivot arm, which is hinged on the loft floor and at the top end of the ladder, is unable to turn to the horizontal because it is held back by the ladder. It therefore holds the top of the ladder about a foot or so up in the air. I have followed the installation instructions to the letter. Has anyone experienced this problem with this make of loft ladder? If so I would be obliged if they could tell me how to solve it.

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If in doubt, I would undo the fixing to the loft floor, get the ladder to lay flat, and refix in that position.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. gordon34

gordon34 New Member

This is certainly an idea I will follow up. The ladder will need to be moved back a little across the loft opening before re-fixing the pivot arm as the glides are already against the bottom stops. Therefore the ladder and the pivot arm cannot move any further into the loft. I anticipate having to re-position the top stops to the glides, when the ladder is lowered to its usable location, as the top of the ladder will doubtless be a little higher above the loft opening. I will report back after my next visit to my daughter. Thank you for your suggestion.