Loft ladders

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by G Brown., Mar 8, 2009.

1. G Brown.

G Brown. New Member

2. dont know what these are like for quality mate but piece of **** to install. From past experience im sure you will have to convert from a lift up hatch to a down opening hinged door. Hope this helps.

3. Just looked at the pic again and they do require the down opening door.

4. basically ignore everything i just said cos its all built in to a frame, should be even easier than i thought.

5. G Brown.

G Brown. New Member

Ta could you recommend any others?.

6. not really mate ive just put them up as per customer requirements but just dead simple ones really but i think these look good with the built in frame and should give a proffesional looking finish. I suppose its just a case of cutting the hole, screwing the frame in place and bolting the rest on, job done. You could print the pic off to show the customer to confirm.

7. imran_

imran_ New Member

Depends what's required - the easiest by far are the "telescopic ones" but they're also not very sturdy.

I've got a huge spring mounted wooden one at home (ooh err) and I recommend something like this if you go for wood or need something super sturdy - (if not spring mounted wood can be heavy to put back up).

Otherwise a bog standard alu one. Easy to put up, buy a pre-fab'ed opening and hatch (pre insulated). Easy peasy.

Don't forget if you need to cut across a joist you'll need to strengthen properly.

8. !!

!! Active Member

don't forget if they are roof trusses you can't cut them!

ceiling joists are okay once you put in a few trimmers etc

9. Marcus947

Marcus947 New Member

The best metal loft ladders are made by Youngmans in my experience, the cheap ones can be a bit rickety, make sure the opening is big enough and that there is enough space for it in the loft also beware of the pitch of the roof that it doesn'r catch the ladder lowering and storing

www.star-kitchens.co.uk