*****-*** loft light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ally S, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Ally S

Ally S New Member

Trying to install a light in my loft - easy right - NO its not.

The closest ceiling rose has one cable (earth, live and Neutral) running into it, the switch for this light also has only one cable (earth, live and Neutral) in it running to the floor. I figured power must be at switch so i ran a cable down to it (live to live, n to n and e to e) and took this to a switch in the loft which then runs to a light fitting. Now the loft light only comes on when the downstairs light is on and both downstairs and loft light flicker. I earlier tried to power from the ceiling rose but it just tripped the fuse.

What am I doing wrong? was hoping to floor loft this weekend but cant do it in the dark!!

Thanks

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If there is only one cable going to the light and one cable going to the switch it means that there is probably a junction box somewhere where the permanent live stops and then splits off to the switch and the light. You need to find the permanent live to power your loft light.

3. Ally S

Ally S New Member

argh!! thanks. could I power a light off the supply to a smoke detector?

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Ask Ristead o_Oo_O

CGN likes this.
  5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Ouch.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Hold on. You can't have a ceiling light with only one cable in it, and the switch to that light with only one cable in it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

You can, if there is a junction box /joint elsewhere, as Mr Sen said.
    The lighting radial is at that junction/joint, live feed goes out to switch, returns, joins to light feed, neutrals etc are just connected through.
    Come on Handy, keep up :cool: lol.

8. Mr. Handyandy

One cable? One cable in the switch. One in, none out?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

One cable, two live cores, live in from rad, live out to light, I am actually assuming, as one would, that a cable consists of two/three cores, and not just a single, though.....

10. Mr. Handyandy

Yeah i was just replying, but thinking before I spoke(again!)

Oh I think I get it. so would explain the OPs prob.

So it's live red from JB to switch, live black from switch to JB. One cable.
    Op, connected same live(twice) to another switch. Light just gets one live to both terminals(live-filament-live) that's why it don't work properly.

Rulland likes this.