Loft Light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by billathome65, Jan 20, 2017.

1. billathome65

billathome65 Member

Hi guys I'm looking to run a new light to the loft from my bedroom using the existing power lines in the switch. So will obviously put a twin switch and bridge over com.

I will also need a neutral wire.

My question is can I run this neutral wire say from another bedroom rose which is easily accessible as the loft is boarded out or do I have to run it from my bedroom where I will be putting the twin switch?

As it's a neutral I'm assuming I can run it from any ceiling rose?

Thanks for any advice.

Bill

2. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

i wouldnt i would take it from the rose in the same room

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The golden rule is the neutral you use MUST be on the SAME circuit else you will create a borrowed neutral. Take the neutral from the nearest convenient point on the same circuit. Also make sure you use insulated and sheathed cable, not a single insulated cable.

tore81, tina lucinda lane and koolpc like this.
  4. billathome65

billathome65 Member

thanks for the advice I will put the twin switch in the other bedroom then as that light is the easiest to get to

Bill

5. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Dont forget to earth it.

Kind regards

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I did mine from the hallway switch years ago.

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Run a t&e to switch and from switch to light, wago the neutral in switch much easier

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

If you have the switch for the loft light in the bedroom, how will you remember that it has been switched off?

9. billathome65

billathome65 Member

Thanks for the advice on this Sparkielev can you expand on your advice possibly with a diagrame?

Bazza currently the light in the loft is being run from a plug socket in the bedroom and is always turned off after if it's on its own switch it will be at eye level so even easier not to miss.

Cheers guys

10. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Most loft lights either have a switch inside the hatch, or on the wall at high level close to the hatch, the switch often incorporating a neon. Upstairs walls are usually stud, and adding a neat flush switch is usually pretty straight forward.

Changing a bedroom switch from one gang to two gang seems odd IMO.

tore81 and FatHands like this.
  11. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Since when are upstairs walls "usually stud"?

Dropping a 3&E in to replace the T&E can be easy enough, then pick up a neutral from that same bedroom light, connect in a J803 or Wago with a T&E to the light all nice and easy.

12. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Would "often" more suit you? Pedant.

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Surely, most people just have the light switch inside the loft, to hand as you open the loft hatch

Easy job that way as direct access to lighting circuit via ceiling rose (loop in) and just clip cables onto rafters and joists - job done

14. billathome65

billathome65 Member

This seems to have spurred a debate which was not my intention :) I can run a neutral from another room easily that's why I'm looking at doing it that way however there is nothing stopping me running it of the extension but just wanted some ideas.

Cheers Bill

15. tina lucinda lane

maybe an idea to have a neon halo around the light switch that is on with the loft light (so when the loft light is on the neon is on) that way you never forget to turn it off

16. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

After leaving the loft lights on for an unknown period (several weeks!) I rigged up a red pigmy bulb in a batten lamp-holder fixed to the old disused loft hatch. Once bitten........:)

17. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Or, as most of us do, remember which light switch controls which light, and act accordingly :cool:

18. tina lucinda lane

as i said a neon halo around the switch (set up to come on with the loft light) means you should never forget to turn it off

19. tina lucinda lane

not a bad method

20. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

A neon halo round the switch, or a switch with a indicator, may need a neutral to be present at the switch.
    May depend on the loft light type.