Log cabin base...help please

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by bodigidi, May 24, 2017.

1. bodigidi

bodigidi New Member

Sorry for the delay, but here's a picture of the base showing the extent of the problem.

Am I over reacting?

Can this be filled with mortar/dpc, or any other recommended method of how to level for bearers?

Note that the front and back bearers will run the full length on the angle. The maximum depth is around 6mm, and will come about half way to edge.

If the gap was flat I would pack wi hnsomething like slate. But the angle is making it awkward.

IMG_0909.JPG

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Are the bearers that are running along the splay fixed to the bearers under the floor, I.e. a complete framework?

3. bodigidi

bodigidi New Member

No, the bearers are 6 lengths pressure treated timber. The walls (44mm thick) of the cabin sit on the bearers (interlocking at the corners). The 18mm tongue and groove floor goes in last on top of bearers.

The supplied bears are 32mm wide by 47mm high. The front and rear are doubled up with one taking the wall the other the floor.

I have bought wider bearers, 150mm front and rear and 70mm in the middle.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Well unless im missing something I would suggest fixing the bearers that run along the splay to the floor bearers at whatever specified centres, so the perimeter bearers and floor bearers are all one framework, then pack under the void areas with slate, the bearers cant slip as theyre fixed to floor joists bearers, then point the area in with sand and cement(with a bit of waterproof in) to be honest your builder should know to do this as a solution, should be second nature to him.

Working On It and Dr Bodgit like this.
  5. bodigidi

bodigidi New Member

I don't think there are separate floor bearers, there will just be the 6 lengths of prsssure treated timer that run from side to side. I guess when the floor is in, I will screw the boards to the bearers, so it will be fixed. I also thought about bolting the 150mm front and back bearers to the concrete floor.

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Of course there are floor bearers, they're probably the same timber as the perimeter bearers. Jord86 idea is sound.

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Let me caveat that...it's a good idea if the floor bearers run the right way (which is front to back I think)

8. Daniel Dartham

Daniel Dartham New Member

@bodigidi How did you resolve this problem. Keen to know what you did. Facing something similar myself.

9. James-1-2-3-4

James-1-2-3-4 New Member

@bodigidi I’d also be interested to know how you over came this as I am facing the same issue

10. James-1-2-3-4

James-1-2-3-4 New Member