Logburner Lighting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by oops, Dec 3, 2013.

1. oops

oops Member

Hi all, hope you are well.

I am just removing a 70's gas fire & opening up my fireplace to have a 5Kw log burner installed.

I would like to have lighting around the log burner, with something like two GU10's in the register plate.

Can you please advise which cable & light fittings are suitable for that level of heat / environment.

Thanks in advance.

Oops

2. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

I get a lot of requests for this type of job.

The only way to guarantee a safe job is Mineral insulated (or Pyro to use its commercial name)

Anything else I would not be worth it owing to the temperature extremes

Pyro requires special tools/pots/glands to install it and all of mine have not seen the light of day for a while.

But, someone else might have another idea

Si

3. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

You could use low voltage units and wire them with FP200 cable. No special tools needed.

Kind regards

BS

4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Fire proof doesn't mean heat proof.

Silicon flex would be easiest, as used in saunas. Google FS cables, they have high temp cables, see what they're rated to.

The lights would need to be able to support higher temps too. Perhaps ditch the downlight idea, and look at high temp bulkheads.

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Ditch the idea altogether. :p

A register plate is used when there is no chimney liner and acts as a barrier to the smoke and fumes in the chimney – it must make a sturdy seal between the room and the chimney and it MUST be made of galvanised or stainless steel (or other non-rusting metal) at least 2mm thick.

Why does it need to be made of metal? Well if a register plate failed then smoke could enter the room. This could happen if a brick fell from inside of the chimney.

A register plate would usually have access doors to allow the sweep to access any chamber above it to remove fallen soot.

I don't think making holes in the register plate is allowed.

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I'd have thought a spot or two pointed appropriately around the log-burner would be a better idea?

7. oops

oops Member

Guys,

I really appreciate the time you have taken to reply & thanks for all the advice.

UP thanks for the tips on the register plate, makes perfect sense.

I'll have a look at Silicon flex & spot lights.

The only other idea i had was to inset a couple of small spots into the hearth forward of the logburner, so they can illuminate from infront & below, hopefully in a more helpful less hot enviroment. I havent fitted the hearth yet so options are still open.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks again.

8. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

I'd give at miss me self, accent lighting of a Log Burner is well Chavvy! [​IMG]

9. Jersey Bean

Jersey Bean New Member

10. Jersey Bean

Jersey Bean New Member

Hi opps, Just wandered if you ever found any suitable light fittings as we are hoping to install spot lights at the side of the register plate in our inglenook fireplace.

11. oops

oops Member

HI Jersey Bean,

Unfortunately I didn’t find a suitable answer : (
    I decided to stay away from touching the register plate as per UP’s sensible direction.
    If you work something out please advise as I have another log burner going into a new room soon.

Thanks,

oops

12. Richard marsay

Richard marsay New Member

Hi oops, I was reading the thread with interest as I am looking to do similar.
    I came across these High temp LED's.
    https://iwantcanopy.co.uk/Commercia...9QO2Olhtcsvv9G4L1j8FwyORVrbQpnbG2gaAsP48P8HAQ
    Not Cheap but as the video shows, extremely resilient to heat.
    I am interested if anyone out there has tried and tested these.
    Only down side is that it looks like a bright white light and not soft white so maybe to bright for the job.
    Regards

13. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

It will be "Lit" when its burning!