London parking

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by spen123, Feb 1, 2017.

1. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Starting a sub job in London at 20 the old bailey, where can I park at an affordable rate. I have a ford transit so finding hard to find places that it will fit in. Id like to reserve if possibly

2. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

There is a few underground car parks around there. You won't get in with a high roof van though.

If you don't mind the walk Smithfeild market has a car park that charges £2 per hour, but you'll get the high roof in. Got manned security too.

3. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

How far is the walk? Got to carry tools. Also where can I pay congestion charge? Online doesn't recognise van reg

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

What trade are you.
    How old's your van.

If you don't have lots of tools, take them up there, find somewhere secure to leave them, take van home and commute by train.

5. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Ive been working in duke street.. Been parking at North Greenwich and tubing it.

6. I thought you could arrange 'tradespeeps' parking at a better rate in most places for a limited job?

7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Walks probably about ten minutes, I have security contracts with a few buildings around there. Means I can go fully equipped with only a tool tote and step ladder:D.

Use a loading bay to drop off the tools and then drop the van into the car park.

8. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

2008 but it day does say the site is down. Electrician.

9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Parking is still fairly limited around there, lots of work going on and lots of vans.

I stick the parking charge on the invoice :D:D:D

10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

11. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Ive got a wheeled tool bag. No materials just power tools and conduit bender

12. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Does Smithfield mind how long you park? I'd get there about 6:00 and leave at 18:00

13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

It's a 24 hour car park IIRC and maximum stay is 14 hours.

14. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Is there a postcode Joe? I've never been to London so directions nm good

15. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Have a look on google for Smithfeild car park. Should be more details on there.
    Postcode is EC1A 9DY

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I hope you're charging for parking and congestion zone.
    How old is your van?

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Know the area quite well, there isn't much parking as a lot has been bought up by firms and what there is are on street with limited stay. There is on street parking in Queen victoria street and West Smithfield road but not sure what the restrictions are around there.

18. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Vans 2008. I'll call and pay I'm going Friday but I'll call tomorrow to endusure they find it. Never had an issue before. I'm on price work. I live 3 hours away so I'll stay in a hostel and put 12 hours in. Only **** day is Friday as I have to go for induction. I'll have to leave at 3.30 put a day in to make it worth it the drive back

19. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Personally I'd want 500 a day to work there, did it way back in 93 after Bishopsgate bombing, never again.

20. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I work on a few of the buildings around there, if you don't stick the parking charge on the invoice you can easily lose a good chunk of days pay.
    Parking and driving anywhere in London is a bloody joke.

But my day rate is higher when I'm in central London:D:D