Long flexi tap connectors or copper pipe for shower

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by TapsDIY, Oct 20, 2016.

1. TapsDIY

TapsDIY New Member

Hello people,
    We currently have a bath mixer with a shower outlet. Planning to fit a thermostatic shower over the bath and want your advice about the pipes and fittings to do the job. DIY plumbing experience so far is that I have added non-return valves to the kitchen tap while replacing the old one. (However at that time I bought a whole range to plumbing tools not required for that job at all;)

I found a couple of thermostatic bath mixer taps with shower outlet which would do the job but I'm not quite impressed with them. so thinking of going for a simple mixer for the bath and a thermostatic shower over it. The other reason for doing this is to put the plumbing tools, I bought earlier, into use ;).

Under the bath which is on the first floor, there are two copper pipes coming up from the floor to the taps. Both are copper pipes with inline isolation valves. I'm thinking of using compression tee connectors after the isolation valves to take the piping for the thermostatic shower bar through the hollow wall. After the tee, also planning to put isolation valves for the shower.

I don't want to make large cuts to the plastered wall above the bath to run the copper pipes, instead thinking of using long flexi tap connectors (Wickes does 1000mm ones, so can join two using a piece of copper pipe). Can make slightly larger holes on the wall at the location of bar mixer and drop the flexis through the hollow wall. Cut a fairly larger hole into the wall under the bath to get the flexis into the room and fix to the isolation valve. The shower end of flexis will have copper pipes connected to them and the shower mixer bar will be connected to those copper pipes.

The only problem that comes to my mind is how to clip the flexis inside the hollow wall so that when pressurised (we have an unvented hot water cylinder system) water flows through these long flexis they don't sway about and make noise. I can clip them someway under the bath onto the floorboard though. Will that be enough? Also are there any other issues that may happen while doing this way?

Thank you so much for any help
    Kind regards
    Taps

2. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Flexi connectors sounds ok but they maybe too bendy in the wall and flap about like you mentioned. You could probably also use plastic pipe such as John Guest. I think Wickes sell in single strips and clip them to the wall under the bath. You may need an elbow at the bottom to get them horizontal again. I think its going to be hard to clip the upper parts of the pipe inside the stud wall if you don't want to make a hole.

You could make a small hole in the wall large enough for a pipe clip half way down between bar shower and bath. It will be tiled over anyway.

Maybe also worth considering a bar shower mount of some sort. They tend to hold the shower more solid against the tiled wall.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bristan-bar-valve-wall-mount-11-fixing-kit-chrome-plated/58495

http://www.wickes.co.uk/John-Guest-Speedfit-Plastic-Pipe-15mm-x-2000mm/p/421437

3. TapsDIY

TapsDIY New Member

Thank you diy_nixy.

Seems plastic pipe is better than the flexis but Can I use brass fittings like this (http://www.screwfix.com/p/p701-05-equal-tee-15mm-x-15mm-x-15mm-2-pack/95632) or I have to use special plastic pipe fittings?

If I have to cut a hole at the shower place say about 300x300mm to put the pipe in and fix fittings, will that be easy to patch up on a plasterboard wall?

You could make a small hole in the wall large enough for a pipe clip half way down between bar shower and bath. It will be tiled over anyway. - I can do this to clip the flexis too?
    I'm planning to use the bar valve wall mount kit like this. http://www.screwfix.com/p/bristan-bar-valve-wall-mount-10-fixing-kit-chrome-plated/13771. will that not be enough?

4. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Here's a couple of videos you may find useful on YouTube for bat shower installs.

yes you can use compression fittings on plastic. Though i generally prefer to use copper and then convert to plastic onwards.

I have used the bar mounting kit you mentioned in your link above. You will still need to measure and level the mounts very carefully at 150cm centres. Some mounts are easier than other's especially if its already done for you such as some sort of back-plate.

It may also be worth checking where your timber studs are on the walls. Perhaps drill tiny 2mm or 3mm holes to find them. Cut your plaster back to the centre of this stud and it will be easier to replace afterwards even though its a bigger hole. Not sure if this will fall within your tiled area though.

There's many ways of patching plaster in a hollow wall/ceiling.

Here's a ceiling example with wooden batten. Same principle for wall.

5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

i would not use flexis. they dont last that long!!!!! do it properly in copper. put new supplies from incoming side of bath isolators, cos you can isolate each supply seperatly.

6. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Flex pipe also have a much smaller core, so flow rate will be impacted too

7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Just get a thermostatic bath/shower mixer and save yourself all the trouble.

Install an outside tap or something (that's if you haven't already got one) to justify buying your tools!

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Y. Using a separate thermo mixer is a good solution. Some excellent quality bar mixers around at not too much money - look e.g. at Grohe. You can then use a simple bath mixer.

One thought - if you are going to use a thermo mixer you do need equal, or nearly equal, pressure in H&C. This may not be the case if you have mains cold and tank hot with a traditional boiler. Ideally you need either tank hot and tank cold, or a combi or system boiler which is essentially mains hot and mains cold. Check the pressure/flow specifications of any shower unit you are looking at.

9. TapsDIY

TapsDIY New Member

Thank you very much guys.

I looked under the bath closely and it seems the builder's plumber did really a bad job while connecting the hot side. They have squeezed the copper pipe in two places to adjust the height pic below. Now the worry is if I try to make any modification to that pipe, I may break it completely and might need removing the bath and floor board to correct it. Any of you think it should be ok to cut a tee to that line just above the squeezed point? IMG_20161020_2229191.jpg IMG_20161020_2229291.jpg

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Bit of a bodge to say the least...prob worth rectifying as part of your upgrades.

If I'm fitting a bar mixer onto a stud wall, then I like to put some ply behind the plaster board and screw it to the stud work. Nice and solid for the shower mounts that have been suggested and you can just use wood screws to affix them.
    Is the area already tiled? If so and you don't want to disturb them, can you access the area from the rear and cut out a small rectangle of PB to allow access?
    I'm usually tiling bathroom when doing this sort of work so I can cut out a rectangle of PB bathroom side and tile over when done. Regarding pipe work, use plastic as once you have a hole under the bath, you can easily feed the pipe in and through. Use a Speedfit elbow at the mixer and convert to copper for the tails coming through the wall into shower mounts. Below bath, use Speedfit connectors, copper pipe and flexi hoses for your taps. Will all be fine and easier if you haven't much plumbing experience.

11. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

those two valves are check valves not isolators.

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

What sort of plumber doesn't have a pipebender? even the mega cheap silverline ones do a reasonable job. No pride!

KIAB likes this.
  13. TapsDIY

TapsDIY New Member

Thank you very much guys :)

@CGN - No, the area isn't tiled over. I wasn't quite confident fixing a large hole on the wall but after watching a couple videos since diy_nixy pointed out, I think I'm quite ok to do now. Yes planning for plastic pipes with plastic fittings for the shower run.

@nigel willson - I'm still learning ;)

does this sound ok?

Use a compression Tee under the bath before the existing double check valve for the shower line. Connect plastic pipe from the tee into the hollow wall. use a plastic isolation valve and then a plastic check valve on this line. or do you suggest compression valves? Then plastic elbow inside the wall for plastic pipe to run up to the shower mount (similar shower mount shown in the thumbnail of did_nixy video above) wcich will be connected using a compression fitting. then copper pipe protruding through the wall for the bar shower.

On the bath line, after the existing double check valve, put a new compression isolation valve and then flexi to connect to the bath mixer?

For the botched up pipe, remove that section and use a compression joiner there? (http://www.screwfix.com/p/straight-couplings-15mm-x-15mm-10-pack/35477)

any issues with this?

14. TapsDIY

TapsDIY New Member

@Mr Rusty Actually I just replaced the bar mixer in the shower cube with a Grohe one and it just works fine. Getting the same one for the bathroom as well. So hopefully that will work fine.

nigel willson likes this.
  15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If you're having a shower over the bath then you really need to tile the wall/walls.

Doall and longboat like this.
  16. Doall

Doall Active Member

17. Doall

Doall Active Member

If using plastic from copper make sure you use the correct inserts as I've been to a house where the plumber didn't and they failed twice in 2 different places very very costly mistake

KIAB and CGN like this.
  18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yep...must use inserts on plastic :)
    I've taken apart plenty of pipe work that hasn't used them though!!

19. Doall

Doall Active Member

Problem I came across was plastic into a metal isolator. Insert used was one with a rubber ring where as it should of been the plain insert without Learn something new everyday lol

CGN likes this.
  20. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Curious to know why you have rejected a bath filler with thermostated shower outlet? I have two of these in different properties and have been fine for many years...