Longer screws for Aquapanel?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by xorsyst, Nov 8, 2016.

1. xorsyst

xorsyst New Member

I'm in the process of fixing the bathroom. I've taken off the old tiles and (rotten) plasterboard. The studs are mostly sound, but have some rot in them. I'm planning on using a rot treatment rather than replacing the whole wall, then putting up Aquapanel boards

However, I'm concerned that the normal 39mm Aquapanel screws won't be long enough to get a good enough grip in the sound wood behind the surface damage. Can I just use long plasterboard screws instead? Or would some other screws make sense?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There are 55mm Aquapanel screws available, plus other cement board screws available, but long as you use a rust resistant screw not drywall screws, then any is ok i would think..

I use Reisser R2 screws, our host stock them,

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  3. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

For the price of 2 x 3 timber I would sister the studs as well as treating the existing.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good idea, makes sense.:)

5. xorsyst

xorsyst New Member

By "sister", do you just mean screw some new studs into the side of the old ones? Or is it more complicated than that?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes, simple job to do, gives a bit more support to affected studs.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Before treating the timber or putting the panels on, spray the entire area with diluted bleach. This will kill off mold and any bacteria. leave the area to dry naturally.

I would also treat all new timber even if it has been tanalised.

KIAB and PaulBlackpool like this.
  8. xorsyst

xorsyst New Member

Thanks, making me much more confident about this job now :) The wall also has some insulation stuff in (I think 75mm earthwool). This is mostly fine, but is black on the surface in places. Should I replace that, or it just discoloured?

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Earth wool isn't designed for locations like that. Just in case it is mold - put bleach on it first then bag it very carefully. Wear a mask.

Yould would be better off with some Urethane based products like Cellotex and Kingspan or even big blocks of polystyrene at a push. Your local builders merchant or B&Q/Wickes stock them. Easily cut with a hand saw

KIAB likes this.
  10. xorsyst

xorsyst New Member

You're all awesome, but a couple more newbie questions about sistering the studs:

1. Screws or pinkgrip/no more nails ?
    2. Am I right that the point is to then attach the aquapanel to the new wood?

Thanks

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

the idea is to beef up the ones that are damaged by the rot. The best way is to screw and glue them.
    Once these are in place screw the aquapanel to the battens

KIAB likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree with Sos to glue if using ordinary screws, but using Turbo Coach Screws are far superior, larger head, can't chew it up like a normal screw.
    I've use them in a larger size when sistering a 8x2 joist, very secure fixing.

Joe95 likes this.
  14. xorsyst

xorsyst New Member

Just want to say thanks to all. Those screws are fantastic! ...if you've got a powerful enough tool to drive them in :) My little electric screwdriver was not up to it at all, and even my mains-powered budget drill was struggling, but it got there. Really solid. I also treated myself to http://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-r210cms-210mm-single-bevel-compound-mitre-saw-110v/4235p which made cutting the studs much, much, easier.

My top tip for cutting Cellotex is to use an old long-bladed non-serrated kitchen knife. It went through really easily with almost no dust/mess, just a lot of squeaking.

15. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

The squeaking is the boards screaming as they are being cut!

longboat and Joe95 like this.
  16. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

18. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

And if you can find one, Bosh make a handle that holds jigsaw and padsaw blades - a handy accessory.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Wow those blades look just the job, now that I've finished cutting 160 odd pieces of 70mm Quinn Therm using a hand saw!!