Looking for advice, painting stained/varnished wood beds

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by pamela322, Apr 25, 2017.

1. pamela322

pamela322 New Member

Hi all, what a great community I have stumbled across!

I'm painting a set of bunk beds and have finished a loft bed.

Loft bed- I cleaned, sanded, applied BIN (rolled on), sanded, then applied 2 coats of oil based Little Green lilac gloss (Harris brush, no brush marks). I sanded after first coat of gloss but after applying 2nd coat, I had pin size bubbles. It's not too bad but would like to prevent that on second bed. The paint job thus far seems quite durable and really brightens up her tiny box room.

Bunk beds, I've not started yet but I've run out of BIN and I don't know if one liter is enough or if there is something better that is more cost effective. I don't mind splashing out if it's good but don't want to pay for the hype. I was planing on doing the same steps as the loft bed but the top coat for the bunks is a dark blue oil based eggshell. Could I just use Dulux Trade primer and undercoat (water based?) If so, would I need 2 coats, sanding between coats and would it help to have it tinted? I would love to avoid any air bubbles as well.

To sum up, best undercoat (should it be tinted?) for the bunk beds and any advice on avoiding air bubbles.

Thanks in advance. I have read previous posts about another member testing some of these primers and the Dulux trade primer and undercoat came up as number 1 but not sure if I can use it under an oil based eggshell.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Zinsser BIN is quite heavy duty as a primer for timber are the beds already varnished ?

I recently completed some pine beds for a customer and used Valspar blend paints which are self priming and are low emissions and is scrubbable- which is ideal for kids. With this paint you can choose what tint you want even take in a sample of fabric and they will match it exactly. You can pick this up in places like B&Q for about £10 a litre

Hope it goes well ?

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Over varnish i would wire wool and use wet and dry sandpaper .. Use wet... and clean well with something like krud kutter to get it really clean. 1 coat of Bin and spray using a tin in any difficult spots. Then zinsser bullseye 123 which you can get tinted. Then your top coat with whatever. That's one way to do it.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes you can use it under an oil based product.

5. pamela322

pamela322 New Member

Thanks for the advice. The beds have been stained and there is a sheen to them. They are well beat up with some bare wood exposed on the edges. I'd get new beds but these are super solid and sturdy. I did a test run with 2 coats of BIN and 2 coats of topcoat and the blue is very dark which is what I wanted. I will get the BIN if needed but not sure if 1ltr will be enough to cover these beds. They are solid head and footboards and very thick and there is a sold panel across the back. Technically, I could leave this as it is because we will never see it. The beds will be up against a wall for any time that we have them. I just can't find enough information if BIN is worth the extra cost. I'm sure someone here did a test on the primers but I can't find it.

Astramax, you emphasis "under" and I get that but does that mean it matters what it go on top of? Such as stained wood with varnish and due to wear, some bare wood.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Bin is thin and don't cover to well but dose the job. Goes along way to as thin. 1 coat should be enough followed buy some 123. Then top coat... Should find loads of information http://www.zinsseruk.com/

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You can use waterbased/quick dry/acrylic undercoats under oil based paints, it is not good practice to use oil based undercoats under waterbased/quick dry/acrylic finishes.
    You mentioned BIN as your base high adhesion primer over the stained and varnished bed frames, that is fine to use for the purpose, 1 litre will be plenty.