Looking for automatic rad valve.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Since it's only for one room, I don;t want to bother fitting a zone valve and prog stat.

Instead I'm looking at these sorts of thingies: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remote-Ra...593904&hash=item543f62f41c:g:ilcAAOSwTuJYuVXC

All it needs to be able to do is to open the rad valve at preset times - twice a day. If it also has a built in temp control, all the better. The rad will obviously only come on if the CH system is already running, but that's ok.

Any thoughts, please?

(The rad is under a cover, so tricky to reach the TRV manually).

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pegler Terrier i-temp.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. That looks the business - thank you KIAB :)

4. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yep, it looks the business, but we all know you'll go for the eBay one.
    undertaker-560x242.jpg
    :)

KIAB likes this.
  5. Oh ye cynical one.

Yeah - so what if I do...

Akshully, they are both out 'cos they are too noisy.

Anyone know if there's a quiet one of these jobbies?

6. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Do you turn the heating on before you get the winter fuel allowance payment in the bank, or after?

KIAB likes this.
  7. If you keep them quips going, Longs, I won't need any heating from all the chuckling.

Anyhoo, a really nice idea from someone who was reviewing one of these controllers to do with sorting the noise issue if it's in a bedroom; set the TRV to open a half hour before bedtime, and then time it to close when you usually leave the bedroom the following morn. Jobbie jobbed.

The CH's normal timing takes care of the rest. Ie, the boiler will shut off at the usual time (as will this rad), and then come back on the next morning, usual time (as will this rad).

What this means is that the noise of the valve opening happens before you go to bed. The whole CH system then shuts off at the normal time - as does this rad. The valve can remain open = no noise from it shutting.

Next morn, the valve is still open = heat and no noise. Then it's timed to close after you get up - so noise isn't an issue.

Cool idea :)

8. Got myself a brand new Salus - for a £enner.

(Damn, what Longs says must be true, then. I guess we all need to be right sometimes...)