Looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Perry Kneum, Dec 7, 2014.

1. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Well, as it is actually still all in place; one would expect to reason that it is fit for purpose. Otherwise we would be looking at a photo of a collapsed roof.

Most work is done as it is designed, so its already had the thinking done on it, and what you see is often what is intended.

If you were to check out some basic mechanical forces, perhaps look up some span and loading tables, you might find a point to argue; but anyone can hazard a guess and set off thinking in a doubtful way.

It may well be the most practicable solution in this situation. In our loft extension, one end of the roof steel was supported by several 4x2 screwed together, stood vertically on the floor steels. There's been no issues over the years. So its not an unfamiliar workable solution in a lot of applications.

2. Hmmmm, can I sum up your opening sentence as - "it's ok because it hasn't collapsed?"

But, you are right - we cannot, from a few photos, determine whether this construction method is ok. It might be, or it might not.

It certainly looks pretty darned dodge; these rafters are secured at their ends by nothing more than a single bolt?! I guess they'll have one of these prickly washers squished in there (I use all the technical terms...), but - really? - a single central bolt securing all that weight? Can you imagine the forces on there as it tries to split these timbers right up t'middle?

And then apparently the frame structure supporting all this is sitting on a tiled floor of unknown provenance. If that floor is as old as it looks, it's likely to be a few inches of packed soil and gravel under there. You'd build yer hoosie's roof on that?

If that floor isn't suitably foundationed (I coin my own technical terms too), it could well sag at a point along its length. The framed structure will also be undermined at this point and will likely sag too. See the rafter with a single bolt above that saggy point? Imagine the huge increase in load on that single rafter. On that single bolt. Man, I'm too sacred even to look at this on a screen, let alone think of living in that house.

Ok, of course it might be ok, but it does look - in a number of respects - risky to me. I would personally want independent assurance. Especially if I was going to load it up with panels and have my name on the doc which says "I confirm the roof construction is up to the job...)