Looking ofr ideas for wee play houses...

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Apr 7, 2014.

1. 'Ello.

At my kid's primary school, we are looking to brighten up and add more play things to the lower school playground - kids around 5-7 years old.

The idea is to build a few small playhouses - basic design consisting of 4 sturdy corner posts, a storage area underneath to hold all the outdoor play things like footballs, etc, and then a seating area above. All with a roof mounted above to keep the worst of the rain off.

It's likely to be an 'open' type design, with the seating area just a deck with a surrounding timber frame and the roof sitting on the 4 corner posts which project up past the deck level - so all open on four sides.

As the school is in a maritime area, we thought to use canvas for the roof material (looks a bit sail-like...) kept taut on a wooden frame a bit like a brolly (probably pyramid-shaped).

Anyone done/seen/considered anything like this who can give their thoughts?

Probable size will be around 4 or 5' square, or perhaps rectangular - 6'x4' or similar.

Any thoughts would be welcome :).

Ta muchly.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

this seems pretty popular in India

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

DA, I had you down as being older than someone with such young children, :p:oops:

4. I am. The wife isn't :p

Phil the Paver likes this.
  5. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

DA, the problem is the wind and idiots at night. I would use those machine rounded poles. They're tanalised and very strong and take well in concrete. Use wire rope to the centre from the 4 corners and then my friend you need a sailmaker. I'm sure there will be a ships chandler or a sailing club nearby who can advise. Even might do it at a discount for a good cause.

In conclusion, a kind of big top affair maybe some wire guy rope to help keep the thing going abroad.

FatHands likes this.
  6. Thanks Viv - at last a sensible reply :p

I don't think wind will be too much of a problem as the playground is reasonably sheltered. Night-time idiot visitors tend to restrict themselves to the 'wild' woody area the school has - a bit of a pain as they leave rubbish behind, but not a major hassle. They don't tend to come on to the immediate school grounds, tho'.

I like your idea - I've been trying to work out how to make it more 'sail'-like. The hoosies will likely have a post in each corner, tho', so I suspect we won't want on in t'middle as well. But it's a cracking idea if we do go for a central-post type of design.

Cheers :)

FatHands likes this.