Looking to remove my half of a shared chimney stack (pictures included)

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SamH122, Aug 25, 2015.

1. SamH122

SamH122 New Member

Hi, i am having my daughter move in with me soon and i wish to make some extra space for her along with redoing the whole house from scratch. I am wanting to remove the chimney from both the front and back rooms all the way up to the shared chimney stack and getting my side above the roof removed. As you can see my neighbour on the other side has built a dormer and done the same, despite where he has cut his off looks like he should have cleaned it up a bit better it seems! Would it be fine to get a roofer to half the chimney from above the roof, repatch the stack and retile the roof allowing me to work my way down and removing the rest. thank you

WP_20150825_18_31_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20150825_18_32_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20150825_18_33_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20150825_18_33_37_Pro.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Certianly made a mess of his chimmey.:)

The Party Act 1996, A building owner proposing to start work covered by the Act must give adjoining owners notice of their intentions in the way set down in the Act. Adjoining owners can agree or disagree with what is proposed.

And it covers removing chimney breasts from a party wall.

See this linky: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa..._Wall_etc__Act_1996_-_Explanatory_Booklet.pdf

SamH122 likes this.
  3. SamH122

SamH122 New Member

Notice was given and my neighbour has agreed to this today. So now im just looking to get the work to begin. But rather then put a steel beam in the loft or gallows which seems most councils do not like now. Can i do what my other neighbour has done and remove it all, but to tidy the shared stack up and redo the roof. thanks for replying

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Looks like the whole roof could do with redoing! Stacks n all.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. SamH122

SamH122 New Member

Very helpful Andy thank you, that means the entire block should all redo their roofs as they all look the same, im guessing ?. i will take that into consideration. Anybody here who would rather not make observations and who can actually help, i would certainly more then appreciate any real given help, many thanks.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

My thoughts as well, start at the top and work down, point of interest is your neighbours chimney leaning to the south west?

SamH122 likes this.
  7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I was going to mention that the back roof looked appalling.

8. SamH122

SamH122 New Member

Will have to check tomorrow ? I think it maybe judging from the photos. Anything that should be done to support it if that is the case ?

Im only looking to live here for a few years, Im not hardly concerned what state the roof is in, unless it begins to leak, thanks for letting me know

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You're planning on doing a lot of work to a house you're not keeping.
    The dormer is one of the ugliest I've ever seen.

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Its also well out of level, don't anybody in your area use building control?????, the work is truly rubbish.

11. SamH122

SamH122 New Member

Yes i dont mind as i have free time on my hands for a month. If making an effort makes life easier living somewhere im all for it.

Yes my neighbour he had cowboy kids i remember seeing a school leaver working there, doing his dormer so im glad you made one good observation lol

12. SamH122

SamH122 New Member

What is ? be specific the thread has gone from me asking about my own chimney to my neighbours dormer and aswell as having the whole blocks houses reroofed :p

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Having had another look, its the roof on the houses, it run out 4 courses of bricks from the left edge of the dormer, to the right edge of the house. :eek::eek:

14. SamH122

SamH122 New Member

I should have taken a picture from behind the houses on the corner, as after the house with the dromer is a corner house and that stack doesnt look safe.. Hence why i thought i would atleast get some feedback on what is possible so i can get someone to make good with the chimney, leaving me more room for furniture and extending my dau bedroom into the bathroom, as the chimney is taking up half the bathroom and is decent sized, but thats another matter after this is completed.

15. Mr. Handyandy

Yes, wierd. It doesn't do that round the other side.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. SamH122

SamH122 New Member

What do you guys mean, Is his dormer not safe ? or something else ...

17. Mr. Handyandy

This is the anomally I think Phil is talking about. I have drawn a line along the mortar line(generally assumed to be level). The roofline should be also level.
    Round the other side you have cables which act as a line, you can sewe there that the roofline is also level.
    WP_20150825_18_32_28_Pro.jpg

18. SamH122

SamH122 New Member

Yes i understand and see what you mean.

19. Mr. Handyandy

What it means though, I don't know. I have never seen this before.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. It needs a Section 78. NOW

:eek: