Loose Door Hinge Screws

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by olden, May 4, 2017.

1. olden

olden New Member

The Screw nails have come loose, on a Door Hinge. Wont retighten, so I did a quick check on the Youtube to find Home Carpenters fixing this problem with either TOOTHPICKS or GOLFTEES and some Glue. I hope to God there is some fix that is not that stupid, maby Liquid Nails in the Screwnail Hole or a PLastic Wall Anchor. I want a simple fix, but some of the Online suggestions were making me angry that hey were so simple.

Is there a Better adhesive than Liquid Nails that i could squirt into the Screwhole and then retighten my screwnail. This is a lightweight door.

Is there something better than a Plastic Wall Anchor.

If you have another suggestion, thats good too?

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Tootpicks and golf tees work - so don't understand why you are angry

Wall plugs work
    Dowels work
    Timber pegs work

tore81 likes this.
  3. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Matchsticks
    And glue

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I always whittle down a bit of wood, drill out with 6mm the hole. Glue and tapp in.when set drill new pilot hole

Working On It and Jitender like this.
  5. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

I've had to scarf in new timber new timber before now because the bigger screw/glued in plugs have been used so often on the same door there is no more wood left to connect to.

Here's an example:

https://ibb.co/cB6fQv

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Put a plastic rawl plug in the hole.

tore81 likes this.
  7. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yup match sticks (dead ones;)) and glue works every time.:)

8. Working On It

Working On It Member

I hate plastic plugs in wood, it makes me so angry :mad:

WOI

Jord86 likes this.
  9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Agree, too lazy to glue and insert timber slivers.

10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Funny isn't it. I have a client with exactly this problem who flatly refused me gluing in some wood insisting that I did the job properly with some decent plastic plugs! To my eternal shame I capitulated (I do quite a lot for this lady) and the hinges are still rock solid six months later - the longest period the hinges haven't needed looking at in fifteen years or so of her owning the house. I'll get me coat.

11. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Yeah,ok and not very helpful but here is my solution to the problem. I still have a few of No 10 fibre Rawlplugs left from years ago. In a situation like this, I drill 6mm & glue the plug in with PVA....Problem sorted! ;);)

12. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

matchsticks and wood-glue for me too. Can't get more simple than a quick fix from your household kitchen draw bits.