Loose doorframe

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Tolley, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Tolley

Tolley New Member

I am refubishing the lounge in my house & I have a plasterer due in to patch & skim the whole room. There had been some apparent flexing of the doorframe and as the deep architrave was a bit manky I removed it so the plasterer could work unhindered, then new architrave could be applied to set off the new door to be hung.

However after removing the architrave I now understand why the frame was flexing. The walls are ‘cinder block’ & between the frame and the blockwork on each side there are gaps of about 1” on one side 2” on the other i.e. the opening in the blockwork was about 3” wider than was necessary to accommodate the frame. The mortar thoughout the house is generally a weak mix & with the movement of the frame much of the mortar between it and the blockwork has broken up.

So, the question: Looking for ideas/advice as to how to re-fix the doorframe solidly given the gaps between the frame & solid blockwork; and given the problems would I do better to buy a new frame & start from scratch albeit I am still not sure how to fix it given the gaps.

Thanks in anticipation...

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

This is probably one of those situations where expanding foam is useful. Sqirt it in the gaps, allow it to exceed the frame and cut it level when dry.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Spray water into the gap first.

4. Pedro the kitchen

Pedro the kitchen New Member

Expanding foam is one way but I'd probably cut wedges from a bit of timber (along the grain not across it) and then wedge them in the gap top middle and bottom then drill through the door lining and fix with 4" screws. As a chippie I know openings are left bigger than necessary so we can pack door linings out to make them plumb then the architrave covers the rest, although it does seem they left that opening a bit bigger than it needed to be! Hope this helps

5. Tolley

Tolley New Member

Many thanks to all for the hints. I did the foam thing yesterday lunchtime, having used a water-spray & am very pleased how solid the result is.
    Cheers.