Loose handles on UPVC doors

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DIYDave, Mar 20, 2013.

1. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

Hi all

Both handles on my french doors are loose, nothing to do with the locking mechanism or the screws that go through both face plates though

Were the handle is fixed to the face plate, it's held there with a pressed metal bush with a nylon washer
    The nylon washers have split in both handles and hence they are now loose

Looked up some info on-line couple of weeks ago and thought that I read that the complete bush can be replaced, but now cant find the page that I read info on

Is anyone aware that these bushes can be replaced and a possible link to a supplier please (I realise that the old bush will have to be removed from handle and that's probably pretty tight)

It's just winds me up if the handles have to be replaced due to a split nylon washer !!

Thanks as always for any info offered

2. ilikethislady

ilikethislady New Member

DIY,
    Can't help on the bushes, I'm not aware of replacement bushes as from memory this part of the handle is pressed?  Would it not be better to replace.

AW

blarblarblarblar likes this.
  3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You say the plastic ring is split.

Do you mean broken ? The ring may be designed split and slip over the shaft without removing the metal washer.

You can replace just the plastic ring(if it is broken), but you replace it with a split ring.

If it is a metal spring washer(and it appears to just punch on to the shaft-and not in a groove), maybe it needs punching back on further(use a suitable socket size).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

Hi  Lady and thanks for the reply. I also posted a few weeks ago a problem with my front door handle being droopy and you kindly sent me a link to replacement door springs for the handle. Unfortunately my handles don't have the spring cassette within the handle but uses the spring mechanism in the strip lock. This is a much more expensive fix as it seems that the complete strip lock has to be replaced

Anyway, back to the french doors and yes the bush is pressed onto the handle and would probably be impossible to remove anyway if a spare was available. It's just that I like repairing things when possible, especially as when so often it's just a little bit of plastic that fails

Mr H, cheers mate for your help and thoughts. I know a lot of lever handles are held together by a spring and circlip or spring washer but these are different.
    The handle passes through the backplate and a bush fits onto the back of the lever with a nylon washer inbetween

The washer is definately broken and is not designed to be split and fitted
    There is no groove to locate a washer or circlip and the nylon washer is kept in place by a flange on the bush (will this get passed admin) !! I'm sure you know what I mean

Anyway thanks for the input and  I will take another look at the w/end

5. Biffo

Biffo Member

new handles    simple   

6. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

YES I know the obvious solution is new handles .......

It's not even about the money......

Once again it just annoys me when items break and are so readily scrapped, often when a small component costing pence fails and renders the whole item scrap

Had a problem with my Renault last year when the switch for the fog light would not click into place. Was taking the car into the main dealers the following week for a service so had a word with them
    They quoted me just under £400 to replace the switch !!

Once I had recovered, I took the car home and decided to take a look at the problem
    After removing the steering wheel, removed air bags and disarmed the system, removed countless bits of plastic trim, clips and screws I finally got to the switch
    Switch operates several items from a stalk in the steering wheel and I found that a small cog within the switch had just jumped out of place

Everything back and all working in the space of 2 hours or so and well pleased

I will always try and repair first and with the Internet, spare parts are generally easy to locate

Thanks all

7. jasta

jasta New Member

I have had the same problem and managed to fix this in a roundabout way. It seemed like a bodge fix but has lasted a couple of years now and still works perfectly.
    I took a large kirby grip (hair grip) and opened this out to slide it over the pressed inside edge of the handle (where the washer used to be) to keep the handle tight up against the plate. I then crossed the ends of the grip over so they went either side of a lug inside the plate (this lug is on all my handles and seems to be fairly standard). This gives the grip a spring effect and stops it coming out. I have repaired 3 handles in my house this way and all are still working fine.
    Hope it helps

8. Stephen Solar

Stephen Solar New Member

Hello all, I'm a new member and this is a late reply but it may help anyone else with this problem. The problem is just a wobbly handle on an otherwise working door or window so it's cosmetic rather than essential.
    The handles on my doors have a pressed flange on the inside, no circlip or access to replace a washer. My solution to every problem from household repairs to world peace is gaffer tape and garden wire, so in the case of UPVC handles, wrap a length of green garden wire around the inside of the handle, forcing it under the flange with your finger nail or a thin screwdriver and pulling it tight. Be careful not to snap the wire as you go. Depending on the thickness, you'll have to wrap around a few times but it can be quite therapeutic. I can't say how long the repair will last, that depends on how the handle is treated but it certainly reduces the wobble and is cheaper than replacing the handle and plate for the sake of a broken washer, especially if you have a few to repair.

9. CharlotteBD

CharlotteBD New Member

Hi all,
    I am a new member and wanting some help...
    The front door to the house the handle looks loose from the front and is difficult to push up into the locking position. It locks from the inside but is still a little tricky. I desperately need it sorting i am useless with tools and cannot afford at the moment anyone out to look at it. Is there anything that is a simple solution that a useless at DIY person could do to resolve this?

10. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

You could fix the nylon washers with Supa-Fix, youtube it.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You can buy split nylon washers/rings.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Lawfra

Lawfra New Member

Hi,
    I am having the same problem with wobbly handles on my UPVC door. Can anyone please advise where can I buy the split nylon washers/rings? Also do they come in different sizes or a standard size. Thanks