Lots of condensation on inside of new roof membrane

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Monkey Chops, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

We had a new roof fitted about a year ago and right away there was a lot of condensation on the inside of the roofing membrane. Part of the re-roof was to take the unused chimney down to below the roof, just inside the loft. It got better over the summer, but now it's cold again, much of the membrane is covered in water droplets which are then dripping onto stuff in the loft.

The centre of the loft is boarded out for storage and there is insulation below and around the boards.

The loft hatch is sealed, but next door's isn't. There is a dividing wall, but there is a space above the wall in the middle big enough to put an arm through and then maybe a 2 inch gap all the way along.

Could the chimney be the culprit? it is blocked up downstairs and runs through the centre of the house.

Thanks!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Do you not have eaves ventilation, either soffit vents or roll form eaves vents, could be the loft insulation being push tight into the eaves & stopping air flow.

Astramax and Monkey Chops like this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What happened to the chimney inside the loft space was, it capped off?

Feel that warm air is being sucked up into the loft and condensing on the cooler roof felt. Also was it breathable felt?

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You should have vents up there. Did they not fit tile vents?

Monkey Chops likes this.
  5. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the vents for the eaves, there aren't any, I was looking at putting in some of the corrugated stuff to hold back the insulation when I replace the insulation next. There is always a good breeze through the loft though.

No tile vents either, they said the membrane they used should have been enough as it is breathable, but clearly not.

The chimney was just knocked down to right below the tiles and it's something that I'm going to get rid of when I get time. It isn't capped off, it is just open under the tiles and probably filled with rubble. The plan was to take it down to the floor in the loft and then fill it with foam until I can remove it in the upstairs level.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Chimmey shouldn't be a problem, took down one here,it's down as far as bedroom ceiling,it's still open down to where the fireplace would have been, attic is bone dry, but there is eaves ventilation.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  7. proby

proby Active Member

Had my roof replaced a couple of years ago and like you was told the breathable membrane was all that was needed. I couldn't feel any air movement in there only if the hatch was open so I fitted vents along the front and rack soffits. 70 mill in diameter all you need is a hole cutter and a drill.

Attached Files:

Monkey Chops likes this.
  8. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks. When you got it down to the bedroom ceiling level, what did you do with it? Did you cap it off or fill it in? Just put insulation over it?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Still open, but I have stuck a traffic cone upside down the chimmey, so I don't go & put my foot down it.:)
    Will take the lot down in the spring, but from bedroom down to fireplace, it has a heavy metal liner in 3' or 4' sections.:(

Daverobs and Monkey Chops like this.
  10. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Haha, no expense spared, I like it! :)

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

He keeps his beer in it and has a long straw stuck in it for when he 'has' to go in the attic! :p

Monkey Chops likes this.
  12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Hopefully they didn't fit the membrane upside down. :eek::eek:

Monkey Chops likes this.
  13. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

That sounds even better! If I put an upside down cone in my loft, it'd be full of water in no time, it's that bad!

Going to see if I can get the roofer back to put some vents in then, cheers for the help everyone, much appreciated :)

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Thats a thought! I guess its the case of no vents in reality though.

15. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

That was something that crossed my mind, but when they first did it, I looked it up and it is the right way round, thankfully! Cheers.

16. Phil the Paver

Writing on top. yes :)

17. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Yep, white on the inside and writing on the outside, thanks.

18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

We fitted oxygen tanks in our attic to make it more breathable! o_O

Monkey Chops likes this.
  19. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

20. Phil the Paver

Blimey thats bad, what make is that membrane ????