Lots of condensation on inside of new roof membrane

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Monkey Chops, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

The manufacturer for this membrane says it shouldn't run into the gutter. Not sure why, but the PDF for it was posted earlier in this thread.

2. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks, I honestly couldn't tell you. Inside the loft, it looks like the membrane runs to the top on both sides.

3. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

So here's a photo of when they were doing the roof, you can see the membrane hanging over, ready to sit in the gutter. I've tried to get my head round where the airflow should come in, and it would seem that it's under the membrane? But if that's the case, once the gutter is on, there's virtually no space for air to get into the loft? So should I be buying the circular vents and cutting holes in the soffits to start with? That seems like it would increase the airflow the most?
    20151112_130042.jpg

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Yes, circular soffit vents would be a start. Plus you def need tile vents too. 4 each side should be enough. The membrane is like that as any moisture between it and the tiles runs down and away from the house. You wouldn't want any moisture dripping into the wall / brick work.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Soffit and/or tile vents, as you imply MC, you need to get outside air circulating in the loft space somehoo. And agree with kool, the membrane should be laid into the gutter for the reason he states.

Monkey Chops and koolpc like this.
  6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The problem with putting the membrane directly into the the gutter is that, some membranes need to be covered to protect from the elements as can degrade over time, the one i fitted said tiling could happen no later than 6 months after installing.

When I installed a roof used felt support trays to support to felt near to gutter, as left unsupported could make water pool in places and the fabric drape.

I can see there are vented support trays available too.

Tiles look like Marley ludlow or Redland 49 and the roofers are fitting the dry ridge as can see the roll of material.

As gutters are removed, did you have the fascias and soffits fitted at the same time, as vented soffits are available (pre slotted).

Monkey Chops and koolpc like this.
  7. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks, do you mean 4 for front, 4 for back of each house?

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Good info that

Monkey Chops likes this.
  9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Yes. This is what we had in last house

Monkey Chops likes this.
  10. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

The Manufacturer's PDF for the membrane used was posted earlier in this thread, it says not to run into the gutters. I noticed in the canopy at the front that the membrane is into the gutters and is going mouldy, I presume that is why they say not to do it?

Everything was replaced, tiles, felt, soffits, facias, gutters, downpipes and also they made a canopy at the front. The tiles were Sandtoft.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The membrane does degrade over time especially if in the gutters. If the support trays were fitted then membrane could have been cut back further.

Were the soffits vented (i.e with solts)?

Is there any fan in the bathroom?

Monkey Chops likes this.
  12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Did they mention about the condensation?

Monkey Chops likes this.
  13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

As long as the condensations runs away from the walls that is all that matters

Monkey Chops likes this.
  14. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks. There is no ventilation in the soffits at all. No extractor in the bathroom, we just leave the window open with the door shut.

15. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

I don't think they did, there's very little info anywhere about what to do about as much condensation as this!

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

surprised they didn't fit the vented soffits.

May have to get the tile vents, but dont like the look of them, and not sure how may would be needed.

maybe contact the roofers and see if they can change the sofits for vented ones, this will provide ventilation throughout the length of roof.

17. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks. It's only a smallish 2 bed house, and so I reckon I can do the soffit vents myself out of the windows. How many do I need? is it a set amount per metre?

The roofer isn't answering my calls. Will need to get someone in to do the tiles.

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Kiab has mentioned using them at ever 250mm spacings. Post #72

But does depend on rafter spacings.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What I meant is there should be a continuous cover into the gutter whether by felt, membrane or support trays or whatever. The idea is that any water that gets through the primary covering is still diverted outside.
    The removal of condensation is really a secondary consideration for the membrane and should be dealt with by a proper design.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  20. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks again. I'm was looking at all the other houses that have had new roofs and soffits on our street and there are quite a few now, but none have soffit vents or roof vents that I can see, for that matter. There are two houses next door that were built in 2001 and they have wooden soffits and facias and vents and one of those silver spinning things on the roof. I wonder how everyone else's lofts are vented then?