Lots of condensation on inside of new roof membrane

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Monkey Chops, Nov 29, 2016.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Those silver spinning things are chimney vents.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Is there a fireplace, think the stack has been removed.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  3. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

4. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

There are two fireplaces downstairs back to back, both are boarded up, it used to be a backboiler. There's nothing inside the chimney apart from a silver metal ducting pipe and rubble from the removal of the chimney stack on the roof. The rest of the stack is still in the loft below roof level and I'll be removing that when I get some time to do it.

5. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

condensation is formed when warm air hits a cold surface, so increasing the roof ventilation together with insulation at ceiling level and stopping warm air getting into the loft
    (open chimney within loft won't help ) is the way forward. If you look on the permavent site, they are very particular about vapour barriers (warm air contains a lot of moisture)
    Whatever you do will be an improvement, hope you cure it.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  6. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Quick update on this. So I ordered some of those vents I linked to and put them in on Sunday. I just fitted them and left the water where it was and then on Monday, checked it again and there was a noticable imporvement in areas where the membrane wasn't absolutely sodden. So I went up again with a load of kitchen roll and properly dried the bits I could reach and I've just been up now and those area are bone dry still, so I think we are on the right track.

The original roofer got back to me and said he's never heard of this happening, but he can supply some plastic vented tiles for £20 each and we will need 8 and I think he will fit them for free, but he is really not having it that poor ventilation is causing it, for some reason. The other thing that he said is that he will need to cut holes in the membrane to fit these tiles and it will then not be watertight if water gets under the tiles. I think I may just buy another 25 of these lap vents.

Chimney coming out tomorrow and once that's out, I can get all the insulation out and renew that.

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

It has been quite dry recently humidity-wise, around 30%-40% only so I would wait until it gets wetter before counting your chickens. But it does look like you're on the right track!

Monkey Chops likes this.
  8. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Glad to hear your'e seeing an improvement but,Bear in mind that it's been a lot milder in the last few days, this will reduce the chance of condensation forming. Taking the chimney below ceiling level will help as will more insulation. Hopefully you will see more improvement but if you do need to have more ventilation then eaves/ridge venting might be the way to go.
    Do keep posting as condensation is an issue for most peeps one way or another.
    Good luck

Monkey Chops likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have just been adding insulation in loft. I installed the vented soffits to the front when I had the gutters replaced.

There is quite considerable airflow from this.

Will be getting the back ones replaced too as am having a conversion.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Is it a long op? General anesthetic? :p

Monkey Chops and Joe95 like this.
  11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Blimey where do you live, we had 100% humidity on Tuesday in Hertfordshire.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I'm in Surrey and it has been quite dry, noticed my skin and lips are dry too.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  13. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

In Salford, it's been below zero a couple of nights since the vents have been fitted, but much milder today. I've removed about a quarter of the chimney tonight, it's made from really heavy, grey bricks that are killing me taking up and down the loft ladder in bags.

What I was meaning about there being good progress was that the sodden parts with droplets all over that I didn't dry are still there, so I think that it must reach a point where it just can't breathe at all. The rest is still dry for now at least, so fingers crossed.

I'll update when I know more, cheers for the replies!

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Possibly engineering bricks or grey asbestos, they really would kill you.
    Did you do a test?

15. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks, No, I haven't done any tests. I am wearing a proper 3m mask with particulate filters on. It is coming apart quite easily and is already quite damp because of the condensation up there. The house is full of asbestos though, 1950s council house, asbestos ceilings, under the stairs, soffits, drainpipes etc a lot of which has now gone. Can you tell from a photo if it looks like asbestos bricks?

16. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

They actually made blocks/bricks from asbestos ???

17. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

No.

18. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

They look like the cinderblock used on the inside walls of the house but bigger and heavier.

The condensation is dispersing quite quickly now in the areas I haven't mopped, probably due to the milder weather, but it's good to see it is escaping now.

This is yesterday's progress, had to abandon as the rubble sacks weren't rubble sacks, but back on it today.
    20161207_183738.jpg

19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Thats a big straw you have in the chimney!

Monkey Chops likes this.
  20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Someone said you should always take the flue liner out, if the chimney isn't being used.

Don't think this added to the condensation though.

TS do some woven sacks which are reusable and strong.

Monkey Chops likes this.