Lots of condensation on inside of new roof membrane

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Monkey Chops, Nov 29, 2016.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I used the metal liner in the chimmey here as a rubble shute.[​IMG]

Sectioned off room with heavy plastic sheet, & knocked hole in firebreast large enough to get flu liner through, rubble dropped direct into barrow.:eek::D

Monkey Chops likes this.
  2. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks. The liner is coming out, but I was unable to just pull it out from above as it got stuck on all the rubble from when the stack was removed, so I'll take the bricks down to ceiling level and I should be able to get a better grip on it. I did notice some moisture in some of the bricks on the inside of the chimney. The main thing for me is that it is one less thing that could have been causing it, ticked off the list!

I got some from B&Ms, £2 for 20, they can hold more than I can carry in one hand coming down a ladder, so all's good there, cheers.

Today's progress, quite pleased with this as I only had a couple of hours today. About a quarter of it left, but the killer is bagging it up and taking it all down stairs.

20161208_181151.jpg

3. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Great idea! Can't do it here as nowhere for the liner to go, other than to the boarded up and plastered over fireplaces downstairs. Seems like the roofers dropped much of the stack down the remaining chimney!

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I was joking.

b4xtr likes this.
  5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Chippie, you don't half wind up people! lol :p

6. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Ha, but i wouldn't have been that surprised to find they did use asbestos, seemed to stick it into and on everything years ago

KIAB likes this.
  7. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Just an update for anyone else in the same situation...the felt lap vents have done the job, we've had some very cold nights and some very mild nights recently and there is no new condensation forming. The chimney is now gone and the holes filled in with foam,I just need to get some insulation to put over where the chimney was and hopefully that's that.

Cheers for the help!

chippie244 likes this.
  8. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

pleased you have cured it, condensation and the problems it creates is a pain in the ar$e

Monkey Chops likes this.
  9. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Just got the lovely task of removing all that dirty, horrible old insulation, but there's the added bonus of asbestos ceiling boards that the insulation sits on, so I'm not entirely sure of the best way to tackle that. That's probably a whole new thread though!

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

They def asbestos?

Monkey Chops likes this.
  11. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Fairly sure, it's whitish grey with dimples on it, same stuff that was used for the soffits and they were. I looked it up while I was doing the bathroom as I hadn't clocked it close up until then, and had to rejig plans and put a false ceiling in instead.

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I would have ripped it down (safely) not covered over it to be honest.

13. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Didn't wan't to disturb it, to be honest and the false ceiling looks much better than it did before!