Low hot water pressure from my combi

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by whotsit, Dec 23, 2010.

1. whotsit

whotsit New Member

Had a Syme combi fitted in the loft around 18 months ago ever since I have noticed that the hot water pressure is very low , is there any way of increasing the pressure?

2. whotsit

whotsit New Member

3. catchup

catchup Member

Would suggest contact installer to check incoming cold main pressure was correct at installation, if it aint comin in,it aint going out

4. Whotsit, what model is it? What's your mains cold water pressure/flow like? How high up is your loft?

Water pressure can drop off dramatically with height. If it was borderline adequate at ground level (where's your kitchen sink?) then fitting your boiler in t'loft ain't going to help.

Many (all?) combis have a flow reducer fitted on their inlet - often a plastic 'screw' which is slipped into the inlet pipe just in front of the boiler - so if this was fitted perhaps it could be removed? But I think you should contcat the installer first. (And why did it take to a year and a half to ask...?)

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

there is also very often a filter (gause) which may be partialy blocked, there may also be a old stop tap which used to serve the old tanks that might be siezed,

6. catchup

catchup Member

Tom, the OP stated that the problem occured since the Boiler was installed 18 months ago. Wot time are you going on the ****.

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

have to pick wife up from work at 8pm cos there's no buses, so i'll have to stay off the drink till then, and by that time the pubs are all full of ' only at christmas' drinkers and they're swaying and spluttering about, so i'll give it a miss today, and catchup boxing day ,

8. screwfix

screwfix Guest

climb innit, lad.

that'll increase the pressure....:)

9. whotsit

whotsit New Member

Its taken a year and half to reply as I have had the most horendous year health wise you can imagine.Not too concerned as there is a 3 year warranty with the combi so I shall give the installer a ring after christmas.

10. screwfix

screwfix Guest

`ha ha....'

11. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Combi's are not the solution to all plumbing faults that a lot of the public have been lead to believe they are.
    Yes you can increase the hot water flow through the boiler via the flow restrictor, however, once you have done this the water will flow much faster through the combi boiler henceĀ  not giving it time to fully heat up!
    A better flow of hot water on a lot of combi's will equal water that is only just warm coming through the hot water taps.