Low voltage garden lighting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by RolandK, May 9, 2015.

1. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Hi,

if I install 12v garden lighting and a water feature can I do it myself if all the mains transformers are indoors in the garage and only the 12v side is outside?

Thanks

Roland

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I think officially that would only be the case if it was a CE approved pre-assembled system kit with all plug and socket connections.

3. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

A rather odd question.
    Not certain how anyone would be expected to assess your competency via an Internet forum?

4. Roland, you might need some guidance on this.

First, ensure the power socket is turned off. Then identify the earth pin on the 13A plug top and ensure it is in the 'top' position. Gently engage all three plugtop pins into the 13A socket, ensuring the plug is kept perpendicular at all times.

Before even thinking about flicking the power switch downwards (er - you ain't in the Yoo Ess of AAAAAAA, are you?), double-check that the plug is fully engaged with the socket with no obvious gap betwixt the three pins and the socket surface.

I'd suggest making a cup of tea at this point, and running this procedure again. Chust to be sure, to be sure (er, you ain't from the Repub of Ireland, are you?) Make sure you haven't left any steps out, such as your hand being empty when it should have been holding the plug.

Once you are certain that the above has been carried out with the competence of a competent person, wire up yer 12V stuff.

(But, fair point in posts above - ensure you have decent quality stuff 'cos the trannie is likely to be running for longish periods?)

5. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Sorry to have wasted your time and mine!
    I'll just pop off and ask a real electrician!

6. Aw maaaan! Roland, babe!

Yes you are fine. You are working with extra low voltage.

Choose a quality trannie that you know is a suitable rating and fully CE approved, and enjoy wiring your 12 volt system. You should be perfectly safe.

Plugging a transformer into a socket ain't going to require Part P...

Using a 12 or 24 volt system for your garden lighting makes HUGE sense. And, yes, you can DIY it no prob.

(Just make sure the max load will be catered for easily by the transformer you choose, that's all.)

7. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Thanks for the reply. It would have been more useful as the first response rather than the sarcastic attempt at satire!
    As a competent DIY'er I certainly know my limitations and when to ask for help. Any doubts I get the professionals in. I'm aware of the complexity of current regulations and don't want to fall foul of anything.

Thanks again Babe! XX

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Roland, don't take it to heart. It's nothing personal sometimes we get a little flippant. It isn't generally done with any malice. DA is one of our better known members with a sense of humour.

Kind regards

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Agreed-sometimes.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  10. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Ok, apologies to all, perhaps I over reacted but no one likes being treated like an idiot! Even idiots!
    As for being called babe - outrageous and very inaccurate ;o)

11. Roland, you are my 'babe'. You chust best get used to it.

12. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

First where do you live? In England you will likely not have a problem in Wales this work needs registering with LABC there are some systems designed to get around the problem Blagdon do one plug in system, but daft as it seems Extra Low Voltage (12 volt) has the same rules as Low Voltage (230 volt) as far as Part P goes.

Using Extra Low Voltage volt drop becomes a problem. So cable sizes can get silly. Much depends on length of run and lamps used, LED lamps are less of a problem.

With LED lighting it is often the current rather than voltage which needs controlling so distance is auto compensated for. The driver will give for example 280 mW and LED's are wired in series not parallel. However also some LED's have the drivers built in and are voltage dependent not current.

Until the LED series wiring was really only used for runway lighting this again was to get around volt drop problems. So step one what lights are you selecting and where do you live?

13. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Firstly, DA, I didn't realise this was a dating forum as well a being informative! Does this mean we're engaged now?

Thanks for the comprehensive reply MGW. No I'm not in Wales so hopefully will be OK. How do the powers to be decide 12v is lethal in Wales but not elsewhere? Do they have different rain?

The garden is quite small so no really long cable runs and I'm looking to use LED's. There's some solar lights out there which do the job they are intended for but solar spot lights are just too feeble!
    I haven't selected the lights yet but I guess it makes sense to get all the gear from the one source to ensure it's compatible.

I suspected when I asked the question in the first place that there might be some crazy reason that Part P might apply to 12 volts! I get the whole idea of Part P and have had sparkies in to do stuff that is clearly Part P. But it seems to have gone totally mad and there are so many twists and turns now that it's totally open to interpretation which then defeats the object!

'Back in the day' it was so simple and as an impoverished newly wed I had no problems totally rewiring the hovel we could afford to buy and no one died! I can't even consider it now.I don't know how you guys have time to actually do any work and keep up with all the changes and regulations!

Cheers

14. Blimey, MGW - plugging in a 12V trannie comes under Part P?! That's chust nuts.

Ok, I guess if the load is excessive it could cause the transformer to overheat - just like any other transformer in the house... :rolleyes:

Anyways, MGW, you've impressed me with your knowledge, so I'm dumping Roland - that makes me free... ;)

cough

Roland, I guess start researching the LED lights and water features you might possibly wish to use, and come back on here with your ideas. We should hopefully be able to advise further.

15. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I think Part P and some bits of BS 7671 are wrong and I personally would not bother to declare a 12 volt garden light but seems he has LABC involved already and it's all down to jobs worth.

16. I'm not sure Roland has mentioned anything about BC or anyone else possibly overseeing the work. He just wants to be assured it would be legally ok for him to wire all this 12V stuff and plug it in to an indoor transformer.

And I'm sure, with our help if necessary, it will be ok.

(By the way Roland, my first sarcy reply above was actually aimed at the previous two replies, not you ;))

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You're my puppy now!

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Down boy.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Who's a good boy, who's a good boy, you are, you are, pant, pant, pant.