Lowering 1600 x 900 shower tray

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jonnn, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Jonnn

Jonnn Member

Hello everyone,
    I am, with more than a slight sense of apprehension, refitting our bathroom.

After much research etc I think I'm confident with the process of putting in a shower tray, except for one point...

There will be three surrounding walls that will be tight up to the tray. When we lower the shower tray, which is heavy, onto the sand/cement base, how do we stop the tray just splatting to cement everywhere? I've seen a video on youtube where two guys used a block of wood to stand one end on, and then lower it down. It wasn't clear how they got the block out afterwards.

Anyway, has anyone out there got any tips on how to get the tray onto the cement without messing up the nice level cement?

Thanks for any tips / ideas you have.

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    In my experience, it's normal to not have a nice Level cement!

Its actually sort of ribbed, to allow it to be "jigged' and shuffled in to position. ( also a stiff mix is used)

In fact often, it's laid on a bead of silicone
    Regards
    Peter

3. Jonnn

Jonnn Member

Hello
    Thanks for the reply, but the MI is stating that it's a Sand / Cement mix, so that's what I'm going with.
    Yes, I anticipate it won't be a perfect smooth finish but it will have to support the tray in a level position.
    If you have any ideas on how I can get the tray onto the cememt then they would be much appreciated.
    Kind Regards

4. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    Think of a brick layer, the mortar bed is not level when the bricks are laid, it's a matter of estimating the consistency and amount, and then laying the tray as if a brick?

Hope this helps

Regards
    Peter

5. Personally, I lay two lengths of door stop front to back. They also help in giving a nice level bed of screed. Drop the back edge of the tray down onto the battens making sure that you don't bull doze some screed between the tray and the shower wall. Gently lay the tray down and then pull out the two battens. Wriggle the tray, as much as you are able given that it's between three walls to bed it down level. Don't get hung up on the fact that there are two 1" strips without screed, it won't make any difference.
    Do not use silicone or any other mastic.