LXT Battery - OEM or something else

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by HandyDoug, Feb 9, 2017.

?

Which battery

1. OEM

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. After market

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. wire 2 PP3's in series and hope..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HandyDoug

HandyDoug New Member

Another day, another buck and the second ('Eunice'- the sensitive one) of my 4 LXT batteries has stopped working (flashing on the charger). It seems a simple choice between going with the original batteries or chancing an after market one. I'm sure Makita don't make their own batteries but I assume they exercise some sort of quality control over the people who do. Given the same people may well be the ones selling them on fleabay etc, does anybody who has bought the 40%-50% cheaper batteries have any positive or otherwise experiences I can learn from before spending out.

Tool wise I'm a bit over-committed to Makita (rightly or wrongly - I'm happy) to consider changing brands FYI.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Eunice:eek: naming batteries, different, but my drill does have a name:oops::(, been qiute a few peeps with LXT batteries dying early or going faulty, are they out of warrenty?
    Have always bought OEM.

3. HandyDoug

HandyDoug New Member

I can see why it seems strange now you say it - I did it when I was completely Nicad so I knew the charging order (it all made sense to me at the time - alphabetty after people I knew). Carried on even though it makes no real difference nowadays (although not having a fully charged battery for the radio would be hanging offence in these parts). I can now see it looks a bit strange. Anyway, Battery 2......

You have a name for your drill ? Interesting :)

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Kate for my large Bosch multi drill,Freya for my Bosch cordless.:(:oops::rolleyes:

HandyDoug likes this.
  5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Have you not seen this on the news?:eek::eek:
    http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/08/sever...dent-at-train-station-in-east-london-6434310/

A few people I have spoken to reckon it was a knock-off Makita battery. Take that as you will.

I always have, and always will, buy genuine batteries. They are something that you rely on anyway, but if they fail, they do so spectacularly.

I have had numerous Makita batteries die over the years, seems to be common across the whole range of voltages.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never had any of my Bosch batteries die early, even have a old Nicad one, must be 10 years old & it's still going.

Joe95 likes this.
  7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I have names for my batteries....1,2,3,4,5 and last but not least, 6. And I have names for my cordless drills...the white one and the blue one. :p:p:p

Still have some ni-cad ones that are fully functional. The li-ion ones don't seem to last. If they are under warranty you can send them back to Makita and they'll replace it for you, free of charge.

Oh, and I'm never without a fully charged battery for the radio. I find a 4ah one will last a week with normal use, but if I've got it cranked up it will last about two days. I did find that my old blue one, which was FM only, the batteries lasted longer than the white DAB version. The blue ones are also much better built.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  8. Doall

Doall Active Member

Touch wood I don't seem to have problems with 18v deWalt xr batteries got about 15 of them and they all seem to perform good.

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I've got the old FM Makita radio. I skipped the drill, but still use the NiCad batteries in the radio. :D:D

10. HandyDoug

HandyDoug New Member

That is what prompted my question- I bought several after market 14,4v Nicads a few years ago and they continue to perform to this day (mostly in my White Radio). In reality I'll go OEM for peace of mind but it would be interesting to hear if anybody has found a reliable (and cheaper) source for compatible batteries.

11. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Slightly off topic.....I am a Makita fan & most of my tools are a few years old & 240v. Seeing your comment on the blue radio & the build quality, I have always wondered if the white tools are more cheaply built,as these are the ones usually on "offer".

12. HandyDoug

HandyDoug New Member

I have the 'White Makita' drill and impact driver as well as the SDS Drill. They are all used nearly everyday without issue. I believe the only difference between the Blue and White Makita radios is that the blue one is not DAB - so no Absolute Radio 70's so no practical use on any jobs :)
    I have two White Radio's one of which get's used for all sorts of things (which explains the screw holes and the circular saw sized corner piece that is missing) and gets' chucked in the back of the van - it works faultlessly every day. A USB charger would be nice but it cost more at the time.

13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

They defiantly are. I had a Bosch Ni-Cad up until a few years ago, It ended up falling off a scaffold:eek:. So I brought this one: http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp453sfew-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-lxt-cordless-combi-drill/2290j Because it was £110 at the time (from our hosts). The chuck lasted about six weeks, the case is much cheaper plastic and it had less 'oomph' than the old Ni-Cad(Which was about 14 years old at the time). I got the set as I wanted a charger for home and one on the go, but regret wasting my money on it now. I only use it for smaller stuff, like pilots. If you were delicate with it, and used it for what it is intended for, then it should last forever.

I have brought a DHP458Z and a DHP481RTJ since then, and I can tell you those drills are top, top quality. I leave the mains drill at home now, I can do 25mm auger holes through the hardest timber without the drill struggling at all.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I bought my replacement 18V Makita batteries from Axminster own brand and I can't tell the difference from OEM, for my 10.8V Makita I bought 2 off ebay for less than a score together, yet again I can't tell the difference.
    As long as one charges before the other one runs out there's no problem.

malkie129 likes this.
  15. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Digital radios have to work harder as they have to decode the signal, hence less time.

Joe95 likes this.