Made a boo-boo?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Nohands, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Nohands

Nohands New Member

Hey guys, doing a bit of work and I'm just wondering if I've fatally fkd up or whether it's 'most likely ok, but not the best way'...

For the record it's home bathroom work, not for a job, so I'm only screwing myself over...

Basically redoing a couple bathrooms and on one of them the floor was so bad, it made more sense to rip the whole lot up again and lay down some inch wbp (bedroom floor is about an inch so it makes for no steps!). Figured that's ok for tiling on.

On another bathroom floor there was a few boards that needed renewing, so I went over the whole floor made sure it was solid and down, then on the advice of a bunch of different guys/tilers etc I fitted 9mm ply over the top. After more discussion I was told by others it was not thick enough, then by others that if there was no deflection then it's fine... Either way, I changed my undies and bought some hardiebacker 6mm..research was not done, and the halfwit in the store said 'easy, cut it, then screw it down!'.... It's only since reading that I've seen 'glue and screw, glue and screw, glue and screw!' and I'm wondering if it's time for another underwear change or if I'll be ok, given that the subfloor is well screwed down floor boards (level), followed by well screwed down 9mm (again level).

Some say adhesive is for air pockets, I'm sure there are none as floor is level along with the subfloor, others say it's strength etc....

2. Nohands

Nohands New Member

Just to add, it's not a wet room, standard bathroom, ambient temperature all year round, ventilation good... All fairly neutral... Nothing special beneath, no underfloor heating or the like. Tiles are some pretty decent porcelain, quite large, using a decent flexi 2 part powder adhesive and plenty of it errrmmm... can't think of anything else...

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Put carpet down instead.Just think, after several months you will have that lovely smell of stale urine! lol :p:p

Nohands likes this.
  4. Nohands

Nohands New Member

I knew there was a good reason for carpet that I'd overlooked! Damn, wish I'd remembered....

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If the tiles are already down then there's nothing you can do but 'wait and see'. You're going to destroy them pulling them up so cross that bridge if they start cracking. Chances are, you'll be fine :)

longboat likes this.
  6. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

You'll be fine with what you've done, nothing to worry about. You don't glue Hardibacker, but you do use tile adhesive if the subfloor is not level (wonky floorboards), in your case this was not necessary, so all the prep is fine.