Magnaclean 2

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Grahamb01, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Grahamb01

Grahamb01 New Member

Had a plumber out on Friday and he quoted £300 for doing the job, this does not include the cost of the filter and I would drain the system down before hand.
    Is that a good price.

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

NO.
    It is a 20 minute job in most cases. Maybe with yours a little longer but not a full day!

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::eek::eek:

Total rip off.

Not even half a day.

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Mad if you pay that

5. That is taking the Mick, Graham.

Yours is not a straight-forward filter install - it ain't cutting and removing a section of pipe and shoving in the filter. Nevertheless, it's an easy 2-hour job for a plumber, so if you think £150 per hour is a fair rate, then...

You don't live in central London, do you... :rolleyes:

You need a couple more quotes. These guys might be busy at the moment, but there is no rush on your side. If one finds he has a half-day free anb can come along and do this, then that would be ideal.

The most awkward part of this job is draining and refilling the system! Other than that it's a case of undoing the return to the boiler, removing that tee, replacing it with an elbow to divert the pipework to below the boiler where the filter can be fitted, and then rejoining the two radiator circuit returns to the filter.

6. Grahamb01

Grahamb01 New Member

NO I'm in South Wales, I have been lucky and have never had to use a plumber so not sure what are hourly rates, but if it is 150 per hour I'm off back to collage.
    I'm even happy to drain down the system to save on time, I'm in no rush what so ever, I have bought the magnaclean 2 pro.

If someone on here lives nearby please let me know, I'm happy to wait.

Regards
    Graham

Thank you all for your help and advice.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Drain down:eek:, when I done mine here, just got out my pipe freezer.:D

8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

The plumber is having a laugh at that price, my bet is he doesn't want the job so he's overcharging.:rolleyes:

Even for Cental London, labour only for what? An hour of work?
    As KIAB said, pipe freezer, cut out existing pipework, fit and make good...
    Pipe freezer might be a cheeky trade trick, but anyone still draining down for a magnaclean is in the stone age!:D
    Bung in the tank is anther for F&E systems...;)(did it today on locksheild change)

£300...Having a laugh....:D:D
    If it were the whole job including magnaclean and labor then yes that's reasonable.

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Electric pipe freezer saves a lot of time on many jobs, not having to drain down/reill system.
    Just replaced three radiators in three different rooms here using pipe freezer, was simple job afterwards to top up system.:)

10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Incredible bits of kit, i have a Rothenberger one, it doesn't much use but sure is a great bit of kit when it does come out.
    Another thing i would not be without!:)

11. Never used a freezing kit myself, but can see where they'd be very useful.

Graham's Magnaclean installation is a tad more complex than most, however, and will require a fair bit of pipe re-routing.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't ever buy the Rothenberger Plumb Freeze Eco Pipefreezer, biggest load of cr@p going, mate had one, he had a lot of problems with it not freezing & maintaining a ice plug when it did freeze.

13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I have a rofrost turbo one. I've had it about 2 years and it cost a fair few quid. I got it for a good price at the time though. It's paid for itself in time saved so I'll never look back. Ive heard others complaining about the eco models, might not be the same one. I asked two plumbers what they thought would be best and they both told me to get that one.
    I do have the odd issue with it freezing in the summer, but other than that very happy with it.

14. Grahamb01

Grahamb01 New Member

Will see if I can hire one. Can I be cheeky and ask if someone could draw and post a diagram for me on here. I'm one of those people who needs to see it to understand it.
    Just so I got it in my mind that what I understand by all your help is correct in my mind.

15. Barry Swollox

Barry Swollox New Member

I've fitted a couple of Magnacleans - one to my own and one to my mums. It was dead simple and even I managed it in less than 20 minutes.
    I'm not a plumber so did drain the system down (for my mums I was draining it anyway cause it had Sentinel x400 in it). However both were on existing vertical 22mm pipe which made it so much easier.
    I would agree with others - due to relative complexity of the pipework I would get a pro in to do it properly (but not for £300 plus parts).

16. Grahamb01

Grahamb01 New Member

The price is extremely expensive. The money I had for the plumber is going to a leak in the roof now. Not having much luck lol. When I get it done will let you know how it went. Will be early jan now.

17. Cool.

When I get a moment, I'll sketch out what I think is required.

Yes, you will have to drain down - don't even consider using freezing on at least three different pipes simultaneously, for a completely unknown period of time...!

18. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  19. Joe95 likes this.
  20. Grahamb01

Grahamb01 New Member

What do you think of this idea, I think this was how it was described. put a elbow at the top into 22mm then another elbow down, install magnaclean then into a T section back up to the boiler where the T is changed into an elbow. the dotted line was the pipe running behind the boiler which I remove.

Attached Files: