Magnaclean install

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by r18rws, Nov 28, 2016.

1. r18rws

r18rws Member

Moved in to new house about 6 months ago, the boiler service mentioned a Magnaclean recommended, but otherwise everything is fine. Boiler around 13 years old.

Browsing this forum, they are mentioned quite a bit and I would like to preserve the life of my setup and that might help.

The boiler has no room for anything to be installed by it, pipes just too short from boiler to ceiling.

Is it possible to fit it in another location, the airing cupboard is as per the picture, all the heating pipes on the left, the cold water in/out and pressure stuff on the right (out of shot).

Or if not going to be effective/possible perhaps best to ignore it and leave well alone?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

No problem fitting it in the airing cupboard. You need to confirm which is the final return pipe after all the radiators and tank have been joined. Make sure you have 100mm below and 200 mm above and access to get the spanner on.

Mine is fitted in the airing cupboard on th return pipe that rises to the ceiling before going across the loft and back down to the boiler location.

r18rws likes this.
  3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

My irish neighbours have theirs fitted in next door but one to them! :p

r18rws likes this.
  4. r18rws

r18rws Member

Lol, that made me laugh... :)

5. r18rws

r18rws Member

So at £84 from Travis P for the kit and some cleaner its something that's worth doing? Are they a gimmick. The previous owners had a British Gas service and so no surprise there was the option to buy something....

Are they worth putting in if all is well as a preventative measure?

Are there different types or is this the right one to go for? Same as this one on screwfix just substantially cheaper:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/adey-cp10300625-magnetic-filter-chemicals-pack-22mm/8350r

6. Pollowick

Definitely NOT a gimmick. I was amazed at the amount of muck/crud/rust and more that came out of mine and there are no cold spots on the radiator any longer.

Several brands around - the ADEY Magnaclean so easy to install and maintain as well as always getting good write-ups.

Install, add cleaner, run for a week, checking and cleaning filter once or twice daily. Flush out then add the inhibitor, again check filter daily for a week, then weekly for a month, then monthly for a year and then every three months or so.

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

The Adey ones are so good i fitted one to my colon! :p

8. r18rws

r18rws Member

Will pick one up I think. £100 for a preventative measure seems reasonable.

Then to figure out which of those pipes is the best one to fit to...

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Magnaclean Pro 2 (CP1-03-00022) very highly recommended, depending on the state of your system you'll be surprised how much crud it will collect.
    If system is bad, you'll find yourself emptying it several times a week, for the first few week,mine I only check twice a year now & clean if needed.
    Use a system inhibitor, I prefer Sentinnel X100 & I also use Sentinnel X900 Filter Aid which helps to loosen deposits & collection by filter.

Can find it cheaper & post free if you search.

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/...ter---black/?gclid=CJuqgY38y9ACFY8W0wodL-ULDg

https://www.sentinelprotects.com/uk...tral-heating-systems/sentinel-x900-filter-aid

https://www.sentinelprotects.com/uk...ntral-heating-systems/sentinel-x100-inhibitor

Joe95 likes this.
  10. r18rws

r18rws Member

Gone for the pro2 with chemical kit.

No idea how many litres my system is. Kit says does up to 125 though.

I have 14 rads over 3 floors.

See the results with that then perhaps go for the stuff you mentioned.

Off to see what pipe does what....

11. Pollowick

Who are they kidding with an RRP of £196! And Plumbnation are part of Travis Perkins.

the TP price of £84+VAT (£100.60) includes the Adey chemical cleaner and inhibitor.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Got one on my system.

14. r18rws

r18rws Member

Hmm, not going to be as simple as I hoped, bulky bit of kit aren't they!!

As I mentioned before, the pipes above boiler have no space before the ceiling.

I have 4 pipes to play with in the airing cupboard, want to get. The magnaclean in the optimum position....
    The airing cubpboard is centr eof house on middle floor, there are radiators on all 3 floors.
    Airing cupboard is not directly above the boiler so pipes are the new in the floor and walls somewhere...

As shown in the photo:
    1 flow from boiler to pump then onwards to a valve/vent on 15mm. Also across to the HW 2 way valve on 22mm.
    2 seems to be radiators, that's the CH 2 way valve (Floor has RAD scribbled in pencil). Also continues up on 15mm to the expansion vessel.
    3 HW tank return to boiler, also loops over to pipe 4
    4 loops in from pipe 4

4 also have RADS scribbled next to it.

On to checking the pipes with CH or HW set to be on...

Hot Water only
    1 gets very hot
    2 no major change
    3 gets very hot
    4 gets warm but not hot

Heating only
    1 gets very hot
    2 gets very hot
    3 gets warm slowly - eventually hot
    4 gets warm even more slowly - eventually hot

Fitting the manga flow is possible on these pipes
    1 - no room
    2 - simple
    3 - would be difficult
    4 - simple

So simple question is this: which pipe to put I think on for best results?

Attached Files:

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think I would get the pipework altered on the boiler.

The filter fits on the return.

Pipework may be able to run down to filter than back into the boiler.

That's what I had to do on my boiler in last house.

16. r18rws

r18rws Member

The website and instructions say preferable on the return but not an absolute must. Sealed/unvented system.
    I guess on the flow it will still achieve something to clean up the system, but perhaps not so well?

Top of boiler is tight and tricky, also would look a mess in the room it's in, on show and the magnaclean is a bit of a monstrosity

Attached Files:

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Those pipe look quite big, possibly 28mm?

There is a micro version, but still wouldn't be able to remove the magnet for servicing as limited room.

Unless you go for a spirotech? but would still be quite big.

18. r18rws

r18rws Member

Jitender. You have just saved me a load of hassle.
    Measured the pipes against a 22mm offcut I have and they are all bigger. 28mm which means the part I bought is no good....

Think I will return it and think it through a bit more.... still be interested if any of the 4 pipes would be ok to use in airing cupboard.

Or an alternative option.

19. Can't really make out the return pipe from the CH in that airing cupboard.

Can you post a photo of the underside of the boiler? The two pipes you show at the top - where do they go, behind the boiler to the bottom?

I suspect the reason why it isn't ideal going on the flow is simply operating temp - quite a difference betwixt flow and return.

20. r18rws

r18rws Member

Rest of pipework is concealed. It's a ideal classic boiler. FF380

Attached Files: