Main benefit of Perma White

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by richhand, May 5, 2017.

1. richhand

richhand Member

I understand what Zinsser states as the main benefits of Perma White but I'm wondering, what are the reasons painters choose it?

2. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Very easy to apply

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Probably the 'main benefits'! :rolleyes:

4. richhand

richhand Member

I often see the main benefit being that gloss paint doesn't need sanding before applying Perma White since it bonds well anyway. Problem is it still needs a key or it covers poorly and so really does need sanding.

5. richhand

richhand Member

More on the topic of Perma White bonding without the need for sanding, after further testing i've been very disapointed. With the light scratch of a nail it peels off the gloss paint it was supposed to adhere to. I'm a little mystified by this product. I could have used certain other brands and got the same finish.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

How long was it left before you scratched and peeled it?

7. richhand

richhand Member

5 days. I will try it again after 10 days

8. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

I've only ever used perma white matt on walls in high damp areas that are prone to mould. And it's always worked a treat.
    I don't think I'd choose to use it over on woodwork over gloss myself. Seems a bit unnecessary. I've never had an issue with regular satins, shells and glosses...and this includes in shops, hotels and an adventure park.