Mains water pipe replacement from stopcock to house

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dodgydave, May 8, 2017.

1. dodgydave

dodgydave New Member

Ok, lots of questions I'm sure you fine chaps (and chappesses) can answer.

Here's the situation

Old sandstone cottage built early 1800s
    Leaking joint from copper pipe to mdpe where it meets house (existing joint only about 200 mm from house wall.)

Copper pipe replaced with 25mm mdpe and two new joints installed - one to mdpe where it goes into house and one joint at other end approx. 1 foot from stopcock.(This is where copper pipe ended with another old joint)

Issues are:
    Stopcock is only 600 mm deep and mdpe enters exterior wall of house only 50mm below ground level.

So, as stopcock is only 600 mm deep can I lay the replacement pipe at the same depth even though it's supposed to be at 750mm+ deep? If so should I duct and insulate it? If so, what with (recommendations for products plz)

As the pipe enters the house at such a high level and the joint is only 200 mm from wall how can i protect ths joint from freezing damage?

Likewise how do I protect the joint at the other end nr the stopcock - I guess I can't just cover it in sand - could I duct it, seal the duct and the cover with sand?

Many thanks - I'll see if I can post some pics shortly..

2. dodgydave

dodgydave New Member

Seems I can't upload any photos

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

2Mb or smaller.

4. dodgydave

dodgydave New Member

Ok here's one of the pipe entry to the house

Attached Files:

5. dodgydave

dodgydave New Member

and the stopcock end..

Attached Files:

6. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

This is not a good job.....

It needs to go under the footings of the building with a sleeve on the outside, it should easily then be the required 750mm deep.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  7. Crowsfoot

It was quite common in the old days to step up the service pipework into the boundary stop tap box then go back down to the required depth (750mm) again.
    The idea was to make the stop tap less deep and hence better access for turning it on/off.

Hope this helps.

Tappy,

8. dodgydave

dodgydave New Member

Couldn't agree more but that would be a massive extra job for me. I'm guessing the pipe was put in (under the extension ) approx. 6-7 years ago.

Could I not just protect this part of the pipe and join somehow without resorting to digging up concrete floors?

9. dodgydave

dodgydave New Member

The old copper pipe was only about 200m deep most of the way to the stopcock! Only the last couple of feet were deeper.

I have dug out to 600 mm since for the entire length except the part where it meets the house

10. dodgydave

dodgydave New Member

I have a cunning plan...

How about I insulate the last metre or so with good quality insulating foam and plastic duct pipe and then put a large diameter clay pipe around it all and leave the top part of the clay pipe slightly above ground and then build a small sandstone surround over the clay pipe.

As it's in a corner away from foot traffic it wouldn't be in the way despite the surround being above ground and would also enable relatively easy access to the joint if needed by just breaking into the stone surround and clay pipe both of which could be replaced fairly easily.

Or is this a stupid idea?

11. Crowsfoot

I've come across iron underground pipes only 450mm deep so it's nothing out of the normal in older properties.

If it was only done a few years ago when the extension was built it couldn't have been inspected by the water authorities, just fill it in quick before they get wind of it.
    Things are not always done by the book in plumbing.

KIAB likes this.
  12. dodgydave

dodgydave New Member

The extension is 100yrs old ...

Can I just cover the joint near the stopcock with soft sand or should I protect it somehow?

13. Crowsfoot

I'd just cover it with soft sand (if it ever freezes/bursts you'll want easy access to it)

14. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

I have to ask why are there fittings everywhere, it should be one continuious length

15. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Next doors lead was buried less than 200mm from the surface.

I know that because the digger went straight through it:oops:.

16. dodgydave

dodgydave New Member

The 9 metre length between the two joints was copper pipe and was leaking at one end so I replaced it with plastic pipe. Heaven knows why it was not replaced when the pipe under the extension was replaced.