maintenance/care of stone window sills

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by aak, Oct 25, 2016.

1. aak

aak Member

Dear Screwfix experts,

Helping to sort out an old house and gradually working through a number of issues. Having some roof work done to remedy ingress from some pointing and ill seated/broken tiles, and a bit of flashing; waiting for a builder to come in to execute a DPC (long story, i know DPC's are controversial), and now I'm looking at the sills.

The house is about 130 years old and looks like it may have original old sills. The paint on them is blistering and cracking in parts, and on a couple of windows i noticed the silicone sealing (?) has lifted very slightly. A few windows in the property have suffered internally from damp patches and mould below the windows. I know the property in the past was not ventilated properly and im satisfied by speaking to some self appointed condensation experts that a PIV is probably not needed if the property is properly used.

The builder who seemed most knowledgeable of the few that visited suggested that three windows needed resealing, and where there was bare stone visible, that ought to be painted.

My question is whether i should as a precaution arrange for all the windows to be resealed, how easy this is to do DIY, and what products might be recommended. In addition, (forgive the naivite) how to best apply masonry paint. I'm assuming its a matter of sanding off the loose paint by hand and sheet of sandpaper and just slopping some good quality masonry paint over it. do i need to strip down the old paint completely? is the process as simple as i suspect - i dont fancy getting up a ladder myself - my mum would kill me if i didnt kill myself, but if its a quick simple easy to apply type of paint, i might be tempted.

thanks very much in advance.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

:eek:

know what you mean :D