Major problem with Ferroli F24 combi boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Cornish Crofter, May 26, 2010.

1. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

After having several issues with the build quality of a Britony Combi 80 I decided to bite the bullet and get it ripped out and invest in a Ferroli F24. This was installed at the end of March by a registered gas fitter.

Today I got a phone call from the tenant. He told me that there was smoke coming out of the boiler. He switched it off and called me.

On investigation I have found that there has appeared a leak inside the boiler with water dripping down above the cold feed and a smell of burning plastic is noticeable from the flu.

The gas fitter who fitted it is coming by tomorrow to have a look at it and I have contacted Ferroli. The flu from what I can make out is clear - there are no obstructions that I can see.

Without taking off the cover it seems that something in the boiler caught fire and it is only the tenant switching off the supply that solved the problem. Can anyone offer any USEFUL ( ;) ) thoughts on this please?

2. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

I would suggest that the flue seals are worth checking

3. Cornish Crofter

From memory, there was a gasket of sorts that sealed the flu to the actual body of the boiler. The flu basically leaves the top of the boiler, turns 90 degrees and leaves through the rear wall to the outside.

...or do you mean somewhere else?

I didn't fit it as I am not an RGF but I did observe some of the process.

4. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

Smoke?.I would suggest that was steam,either indirectly thru flue or AAv kicking it out from top of boiler. Flue gases on average are approx 60/70 centigrade so no real heat.

5. Cornish Crofter

If flu gases are about 60 to 70 degrees C why would I be able to smell burnt plastic?

And why the leak? The pressure guage was reading 2 bar, which Ferroli did reckon was a little on the high side but they didn't think that this on its own should cause a problem.

I'm not sure what my tenant meant by smoke - I guess I would have had to be there.

6. Cornish Crofter

.....and before anyone asks - this is not a windup.

This really happened on a 2 month old boiler!

7. midlands heating

midlands heating New Member

flue gases are only at 60-70 degrees if the heat exchanger is working correctly (dissapating the heat produced by the burner).
    In fault conditions (no water in HE etc etc.)they can get to "Melt down" condition this is assuming all stats faulty to.
    I know what your thinking "UNLIKELY" but we have all seen it (DIY'ers bridging high limit stats etc.) LOL

8. Cornish Crofter

Update:

Boiler fixed. The call out engineer suggested that it would have been steam, not smoke that was observed. Also the plastic smell was due to the flow switch melting! The inner components resembled discarded chewing gum!

According to Ferroli this can be caused by the installer not manually spinning the pump properly during installation - not sure how. Although I was there when it was installed, I didn't observe the whole installation.

Anyway, the installation is not an issue, the call out engineer confirmed that, although he did say it wasn't the best he saw - but certainly not the worst. The main area for improvement in his book is that there should ideally be 3m of copper pipe from the boiler before it goes to plastic. This is actually my fault as I had brought the flow and return up to the previous boiler ready for them to be connected. Another time, or if I get the chance to with this installation I will remove 3m of plastic 22mm on the flow and return and replace it with copper.

It was a warranty repair as I thought it would be.

It does surprise me that there is not a failsafe device to prevent excessive tempteratures being reached - even if it were some sort of temperature sensitive trip switch that would isolate the electricity supply to the boiler and therefore shut everything off.

9. midlands heating

yes you should NEVER pipe a boiler F & R's in plastic !!
    Most MI say last metre in copper. Your lucky it did not get to hot or water water everywhere but not a drop to drink LOL
    personally I would not do any heating in plastic pipe have seen it when it gets hot and pliable and sagging it looks awful !! No doubt some of the "modern" plumbers will **** me for that and say I am old fashioned, each to there own. As for pump not spinning surely it would just go in overheat mode ??

MH

10. metaldust9

metaldust9 New Member

100% correct midlands am like you .ye talk sence m8

11. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

The main area for improvement in his book is that there should ideally be 3m of copper pipe from the boiler before it goes to plastic.

Most Manufacturer's Instructions contain something to this effect, but there is nothing in the F24's Instructions. So the OP can't go back to the installer and say that the boiler has not been installed to MI's; and that's presumably why Ferroli were willing to repair it FOC.

12. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

no matter how much copper/plastic pipe there is, the fault is with the boiler, it will have failsafe devices, and they have all failed. main stat, overheat stat, thermistor, blameing the installer for not spinning the pump and piping up wrong is typical boiler engineer 'side stepping',
    hope he found the real fault and not just the symptoms,

13. midlands heating

dead right tom.
    wouldn't mind a bet that he gets called back !!

MH

14. mongo and fudd ltd

mongo and fudd ltd New Member

do you think that it could be a cornish problem and perhaps a stray turnip has become lodged in the flue i know its a long shot but its worth checking out

15. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

Good point mante, you always get it spot on:D

16. buggerlugs

buggerlugs New Member

I know you are but a simple soul pulloverman, and I know this may seem hard....but not every single new name poster is an alias for you know who.

17. palavaman

Sorry mante la, just that you keep shifting this names so much I'm having difficulty tracking you:^O. I'm glad your soul mate, dickpulling let his friend Steve keep you signed in this time for eehh 3 days? Things are looking up. Just keep away from my cupboard ok? I need a good nites slip.

18. Sol   t    seaman

Sol t seaman New Member

19. palavaman

cheers mante, i'll sleep well. though that picture of yours has left me with insomnia. i dont think'll be able to sleep again, ever.