Major problems with water pressure.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by multispread, Dec 18, 2014.

1. multispread

multispread New Member

Hi im having major problem is my studio flat with low pressure. Basically i live in a studio with 6 other flats in a house all with showers. We have a mega flo and also a system boiler. The pressure is really low and sometimes theres no water when trying to shower. Is there a way to increase the water pressure? I hear theres a water boost that you can put on it. My landlord says it cant be done but i know he doesnt want to spend money. Any suggestions?

2. When you say a studio with 6 other flats, I presume you mean you have your own megaflow and it is not being shared?

If it's shared, then it's first come first served.

If it's your own, then it might chust need fixing - or increasing in size. Unless your mains pressure is sooo low that it won't even charge up the cylinder?

Solutions? It 'used' to be that you simply couldn't pump (weren't allowed to) the incoming mains to boost flow and pressure, because that could theoretically cause a negative pressure elsewhere in the supply and deprive your neighbs or even draw in contaminated water.

But, there are devices that will do just this. It's essentially a unit that contains a pump and a small reservoir. I suspect the theory is that the pump is now pumping the water stored in the unit as opposed to the mains water directly...

Yep, probably semantics.

Last time I looked it was about £500+, I think.

3. Salamander Pumps do some sort of mains boosting pump but I have no experience of it. Part of me thinks that you can't boost what's not there! Has the pressure always been this bad? I mean the first thing a decent plumber checks before recommending an unvented cylinder is the supply pressure. If it was once ok and now isn't perhaps you need a conversation with the supply company. They're buggers for reducing pressure to save costs. Sadly, the minimum statutary supply pressure is pitiful (is it 1 bar someone on here will know) and totally inadequate for an unvented (or six unvented by the sounds of it).

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

I've also heard this. Recently had like an rust colour to the water. Called the water board who said that was being caused by a drop in pressure although not to worry if its been drunk (which it hadn't). I've also heard that the water board will provide 1 bar up to their meter/when it spurs off from their bit to the property - not sure if one of the plumbers can confirm this?

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

yep fats you're splattering a bib full there mate, the water company is obliged to supply 9 litres per minute at 1 bar pressure and that's like about the same volume as you comeing home from't pub and passing water,,, :(

FatHands likes this.
  6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

:D i might try that tom after a gallon tomorrow night ;)

7. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Is the cold water to the kitchen tap OK? Is it the megaflow or the mains pressure itself. A megaflow in a studio? Wow! It should have been a combi.

8. The problem with the min 9lpm and 1bar water rate is that I understand it applies only at ground level. Once you're a couple of floors up, it'll be more pitiful than that already-pathetic figure.

9. You'd have the same problem with a combi though Walt

10. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

You are right any water system that depends on the mains pressure will have problems. Having a space talking large cylinder in a studio is a really dumb idea when small case combi can do the same job. The issue is space in a small studio.

11. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

You need an accumulator, call us for help for free

12. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

It too much info to explain text

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Welllllllllll, it goes like,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D:D

14. What size accumulator would you recommend in a studio flat G&W?